Linux equivalents of the following - (LM KDE CE)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Linux equivalents of the following - (LM KDE CE)

Postby rec9140 on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:00 am

Since I am doing the conversion to Linux Mint KDE CE DVD cold turkey I need to find some equivalents of some winsloth software.

News (NNTP) - Binary

winvirOS - Agent

Linux - ? ? ? ?

KNode is not up to the task for binaries

klibdio - appears to be dead, as its 3 years old since last release

PDF's

While KPDF gets the job down mostly, I have a very unique need for winvirOS based program I used daily, and still have to use for work.

PDFXchange Viewer ( http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_use ... dfx_viewer )has a "typewriter" mode which allows you to type on a PDF like a form and fill it out, save the data and then send the PDF along or print it out.

Irfanview - image viewer, gwenviewer is not up to the task or equal to irfanview, the standard Konqi image mode works more akin to irfanview and is passable.

MWSnap - is a program which can capture sections or whole screens.

Bulk Image Downloader - allows to dl images from image hosts and/or forum links en masse with out following links one pix at a time.

Web Host Backup

I've got a really neat little program, CPanelsiteSaver ( http://www.webhostingunleashed.com/cpsitesaver/ ) that can pull backups of sites that use CPanel and download backups that CPanel produces and pull backups of MySQL db's on the host.

P2P

Shareaza

Looking for an intergrated p2p client which can deal with EDonkey, Bittorrent, G1, G2 and anything else in ONE client

Quicken

Past research has proven that this is probably futile as none of the linux packages seem to do the #1 requirement I have. Unless the various programs have recently added this.

Automatic internal downloads of banking data from banking sites. This is not downloading of QIF's etc. via sites this is direct communication by the program to dl statements, send payments etc.. I've been on electronic banking for so long since the days of Managing Your Money and Checkfree from the late 90's its the only way I do things.

Right out of the gate, I was fortunate that freepops and jbidwatcher already have linux versions.

I am not interested in using wine to try to run any of this, if I am forced to concede that there are no equals in linux I will go the vmware server or player route, but I would rather just ditch the winviros stuff entirely if I can.

Any pointers to linux equivalents would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....
rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux equivalents of the following - (LM KDE CE)

Postby Acid_1 on Thu May 22, 2008 3:36 pm

I don't know all but:

Openoffice.org - lets you make documents and convert them to PDF
gtk-recordmydesktop - should be self-explainatory
phex - P2P - Uses java, so download to whatever directory and type

Code: Select all
java -jar /libs/phex.jar

There is an awesome image veiwer built-in, and Gimp can be used if you must.

And lastly, Wine isn't so bad. It only runs when you need it. I've removed it from my applications menu, and just use it as a precursor to opening a program, so it fits in with all my other applications.

Hope this helps :D
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Postby PhoenixPenguin on Fri May 23, 2008 4:52 pm

Foxit is a great pdf reader with a typewriter feature. and they came out with a linux version recently (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/desklinux/) although i have not tried it out on linux yet.
PhoenixPenguin
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rhvkl on Fri May 23, 2008 7:26 pm

I guess you've already own a Quicken license. Depending on that you can try your existing one with Wine: http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=107 ... bronze isn't that good but it could work, did you try it out?

Instead of Irfanview I would recommend: F-Spot for managing and viewing your pictures and Krita for manipulation them.

If you don't like F-Spot / Krita and you're a private user you may have a look there: xnview.com (because I don't like Irfanview this was my preferred for Windows and it's working with linux, too)
rhvkl
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rec9140 on Sun May 25, 2008 11:59 pm

Update:

From various trials these are the current results:

Replacements still needed:

CPanelSiteSaver
Bulk Image Downloader

Semi-Resolved, but better needed

Frostwire is the p2p choice, for now, as it supports, Gnutella AND BitTorrent, unfortunately it doesn't do EDonkey. I am after ONE client that supports all p2p protocols or at least G1/G2, AND BitTorrent AND EDonkey. For now Frostwire will suffice.

pan - does thinks some what similar to agent, but it has shortcomings...

Rejected:

phex - single protocol, outdated or minimal development if any.

WINE - NO way, not a chance. WINE is like locking the door and leaving the key on a hook with a sign that says house key. No thanks.... If it comes down to needing a winslop program for some reason I would install VMWare Server or Player as it provides a more secure sandbox environment for the winviros.

Could work, but issues....

KMyMoney2 and GnuCash - BOTH would probably work, IF, and ONLY IF the OFX support is compiled into these. For what ever reason these are not in the compiled sources available via apt or the installed version. I've looked at doing this myself, but I've not seen clear cut instructions that work to compile with OFX support. If any KMyMoney2 would be the choice.

Under review

foxit reader - if its a 1:1 port of the winviros version then it probably will not pass muster, as I rejected the winviros version for the PDF X-Change viewer over issues with the "typewriter" function.

The viewer issue:

irfanview does what I want, it reads just about any format you can throw at it. Allows for easy navigation, and quick and easy simple manipulations such as lighten, darken...gimp is waaaaaaaaaay tooooo much, over kill, for my needs. So is krita if its a photocrap wannabe.

The default image viewer via konqueror would work if the bloody thing would let me sort them in newest to oldest and then navigate thru them that way versus in filename order regardless of what you do. :evil: I've sorted the directory via date order, but as soon as an image is clicked on back to filename order, useless.

xnview for linux is a step child. Is developed behind the winslop version, an updated version has lanquished since January.... the author is obvisouly not interested in the linux community, so pass.

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Lantesh on Mon May 26, 2008 4:07 am

You've got quite the novel written out there. It kind of reminds me of myself when I'm thinking out loud. I wish I had some answers to give you, but your needs are very specific. One of the things I found when I made the switch to Linux is that I was happier when I finally changed my expectations a little. I realized I while I had to give up some things that I had in Windows, I also gained some new abilities with Linux that I did not have before. I saw you mention kmymoney. I find it to be an excellent program, and have been using it for over a year now.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Postby rec9140 on Mon May 26, 2008 11:54 am

Lantesh wrote:You've got quite the novel written out there. It kind of reminds me of myself when I'm thinking out loud.

There were replies with suggestions on possible solutions. My post is a reply to the assistance that others provided, and where these fit or don't fit into the solution. I value the input even if the program suggested won't meet my needs. Everyone runs across different programs as they try to meet their needs, sometimes that program can be of use to others like me. So often the follow up never gets posted.

Lantesh wrote: I wish I had some answers to give you, but your needs are very specific. One of the things I found when I made the switch to Linux is that I was happier when I finally changed my expectations a little. I realized I while I had to give up some things that I had in Windows, I also gained some new abilities with Linux that I did not have before.

I have specific tasks that I need to accomplish with my PC(s) be it work or personal, these tasks must be met. Having a PC which doesn't do the things I need it to do is useless. Theres a minimum thats acceptable to meet the goals I have. Some of the programs meet them with some issues: pan, frostwire. Some don't cut it. For some tasks there are no replacements, which will require other options and solutions.

Lantesh wrote:I saw you mention kmymoney. I find it to be an excellent program, and have been using it for over a year now.

Unfortunately the version on the DVD and available via apt does NOT include OFX support. No OFX support means its useless to me. I only use online banking (thats not the same as the download of QIF files and using a web site, I am talking about native download of OFX and the money program is the only thing used, I've been doing this since Managing Your Money (MYM 7.0 and checkfree) - translation a LOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGGGGGG TIME! :) ). The instructions I've seen to compile it with this support vary from site to site, and then actual working copies with OFX support seem to be spotty from these instructions.

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Lantesh on Mon May 26, 2008 1:28 pm

rec9140, let me apologize. I meant no offense. After rereading my post I realize I may have not come across the way I intended.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications