IE7

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

IE7

Postby shaney on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:14 pm

I need some help getting IE7 on my computer for work purposes... I have searched the internet and found a file named 'ies4linux-2.5beta6.tar.gz'. I still am not sure how to get it to work. I extracted the files, but it just sets there and looks me. If you could help (I will download another file if it would be easier to get it up and running, I really don't care) it would be much appreciated.

I do like firefox, but unfortunately it will not work for our new system at work. Best to you --Shaney
shaney
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: IE7

Postby Kadano on Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:20 pm

Well I do not know for what purpose you need IE, but why don't you try Opera?
In my opinion it is superior to Firefox (and thus a lot better then IE).
Kadano
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ed@Mint on Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:28 pm

You can also tell Firefox and Opera to behave like IE...
Try to use that feature for your work does it still fail ?

Other than this, i don't know if it's possible to install IE7 through wine...
In the worst case, you'll have to boot windows for that particular use.

Hope this helps... :wink:
cu
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fred on Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:04 pm

shaney,

The only way I know of to run IE7 in Linux at this point is in a virtual machine. VirtualBox is a good way to go if you decide to go this root.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby shaney on Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:28 pm

ed@Mint wrote:You can also tell Firefox and Opera to behave like IE...
Try to use that feature for your work does it still fail ?

Other than this, i don't know if it's possible to install IE7 through wine...
In the worst case, you'll have to boot windows for that particular use.

Hope this helps... :wink:
cu

How do you make it behave like IE?
shaney
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:57 pm

shaney,

In the preferences menus for both the above mentioned browsers you can set them to report when queried, that they are whatever you wish.

Often sites will require IE for political or other reasons that have nothing to do with whether your alternative browser will work or not. So you are given the option of fooling the site into thinking it is IE so they will talk to your browser.

If on the other hand, there are true technical reasons, the use of active X scripts as an example, why IE is required then this will not help you.

The last time I checked IE 7 wouldn't run in Wine. IE 5, 5.5, and some support for IE 6 was what was available.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby shaney on Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:12 pm

I am feeling a little like a idiot, I have looked through the preferences on both firefox and opera... I have not found a place to change how they are queried by other sites.
shaney
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ed@Mint on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:45 pm

Well, i might have been a little too fast...
I thought firefox had this feature built-in, but since i can't find it back either this looks wrong.
But i'm sure opera has this ability buit-in since i've used it for a little while not so long ago.

However, i have found a firefox extension that looks pretty much to be the thing you're looking for.
Check this : http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/11/make-firefox-2-behave-like-ie-7-with.html
(simple google search "make firefox behave like internet explorer" btw)

hope you find happiness with this :)
peace
ed
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby McLovin on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:41 am

firefox has IETabs, just open your "tools, adons, and then get extensions, and do a search for IETabs, also there is a way to run IE6 in linux, but not IE7, the IE6 is called IEs4Linux, you go to this web site to get it http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page but I would first try using IETabs in firefox, it even works on the MS update page, I go there in Windows with Firefox all the time.
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications