gnome-screensaver problem with multiple monitors

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trogs

gnome-screensaver problem with multiple monitors

Post by trogs »

Hi Guys,

Wonder if anyone can give me some advice here -

I've got linux mint 13 cinnamon installed, with multiple monitors, using the open source nvidia driver (the proprietary drivers caused some issues, so i just left them off )

if I lock the screen, and come back later, when i wake up the machine it will display a blank screen on one monitor, and a grey screen on the other, but no password box. if I type the password in, it unlocks the machine.
This doesn't happen every time, sometimes i get the password box showing up OK. This was also happening on Ubuntu, so I guess this is a common problem to the gnome-screensaver package, and not something mint-specific. I found an old ubuntu bug which seems to relate, but this is marked as resolved. When I had this issue on ubuntu it was slightly different - sometimes it wouldn't unlock the screen at all, whereas on mint it seems to unlock no problem. ( https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/705791 )

Any ideas on how to get the login box to display correctly every time? Is anyone else having this problem?

Some system details:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: blair-newdesktop Kernel: 3.2.0-25-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine:   Mobo: Acer model: Veriton M490G Bios: Acer version: P01-B0 date: 11/25/2010
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5 CPU 650 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1200.00 MHz 2: 1200.00 MHz 3: 1200.00 MHz 4: 1200.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G94 [Quadro FX 1800] 
           X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: vesa,fbdev) Resolution: 1680x1050@60.0hz, 1680x1050@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV94 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.2
Audio:     Card: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.24
Network:   Card: Intel 82578DC Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 10:78:d2:97:b1:9a
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 750.2GB (30.5% used) 1: /dev/sda ST3500320NS 500.1GB 
           2: /dev/sdb WDC_WD2500AAKS 250.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 462G used: 25G (6%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 4.11GB used: 0.19GB (5%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 50.2C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 1848 fan-2: 0 fan-3: 0 
Info:      Processes: 181 Uptime: 24 days Memory: 2986.9/7849.8MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.33
Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HumbleUser

Re: gnome-screensaver problem with multiple monitors

Post by HumbleUser »

I also have this problem. I have an Nvidia video card as well, although I also had it with a different video card so I am not sure that it is related to the video card.

What I found is that if I return to the computer after the sreensaver has been locked I can move the mouse and hit any key and the password prompt does not display. However, as you reported, if I enter the password without seeing the box the screen still unlocks... I suspect the box is there, just not visable. Perhaps it is displayed behind the screensaver "window"?

When I try to unlock the mouse shows up on one monitor only, if I move it to the other monitor(the cursor will no longer be displayed), click in this other monitor, click ESC, then click in this screen again the password prompt shows up. If I do not move the mouse to the other monitor I can't get the password dialog to show up.
Tharkis

Re: gnome-screensaver problem with multiple monitors

Post by Tharkis »

Just to put my 2 cents in, I have this problem as well on 2 different computers. Both have nVidia cards. Also, the problem exists in LM14 as well. I'd love to see any resolution someone has come up with to fix it.

Return to “Software & Applications”