VLC vs Totem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

VLC vs Totem

Postby manishk on Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:01 am

How many of you guys have tried VLC player?? I just want a feedback on which Movie player you prefer and (if possible) why?

I've been using VLC for quite sometime now and cant see why it is not the default player of the distro. For one, it supports more formats...like flv (YouTube,Google Video format etc).
manishk
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby quickstart on Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:45 pm

Hi manishk,

I use whatever player opens as default or is suggested when right-clicking a file. For example, if I insert a DVD movie and right-clicking says "open in M-Player.." then that's what I try. If this fails, then I give VLC a go. As you say, it handles most formats.

For internet radio streaming I use VLC for the simple reason that the player window remains small and no fancy "visualisations" appear on my screen. :shock:

The other VLC plus point is that it runs on windows too. I get a degree of satisfaction running free open software on microsoft products... 8)

Alan.
Celeron 2.8 Ghz 512 MB RAM 2* 80 gb HDD dual-boot Linux Mint / Xubuntu 6.10

AMD Duron 800Mhz 256 MB RAM 20 gb HDD Xubuntu 6.10
quickstart
Level 1
Level 1

Postby manishk on Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:11 pm

Well even I like interface...simple but yet sophisticated :) .
manishk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby hairy_Palms on Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:48 am

i like vlc, but its annoyting having to install qt4 just for vlc
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Uncle Bob on Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:52 pm

Every time I buy a DVD movie, I rip and convert it on my WinXP machine down to an .avi file of about 700-ish MB and then I use VLC to watch them. Having movies down to this size and saved on your HDD is brilliant for when you're traveling as you don't have to carry all your DVD's with you and as an added bonus, you don't have that annoying noise of your DVD drive spinning away.

Anyway, VLC is a good player, but then again, so is the Totem Movie Player.

On my Linux machine I use both (TBH mostly VLC), but on the XP box, I use VLC

I suppose it goes down to what file extension you want to watch and also the "looks" of the player. Going on looks, VLC is bland and boring compared to Totem which is much more colourful and sexy... ;)

If you still cannot make up your mind on choosing one; flip a coin or go "eenie, meenie mynie mo..."

PS. quickstart, whereabouts in Hants do you hang out? - I'm also from that neck of the woods.
Uncle Bob
Level 3
Level 3

Postby friedtofu on Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:20 am

vlc is a decent player... but it cant play everything... haha

i have VLC, Totem, and Mplayer installed on my Mint system...

though Totem handles most of the videos i throw at it, it doesnt play the .mkv h264 (x264) encoded files... so i must use VLC... but VLC also crashes, so the only other player that will work is Mplayer... which basically plays everything.. haha...

i'd go with Mplayer for compatibility...
friedtofu
Level 2
Level 2

Postby |_NiGhTmArE_| on Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:22 pm

I have tried a lot of player...

I don't use totem because of its backend engines (xine and gstreamer)

totem-xine sometime desynch the audio in wmv and the support for .ass (advanced substation alpha) is insufficient

totem-gstreamer doesn't support the newer version of wmv, he doesn't play the dvd and often he crash with videos that have multiple audio tracks...

vlc is really good for "all" (the stable crash sometime with x264)... the support for advanced substation is good enough

mplayer is the best... the only thing I hate of him is the UI (but it isn't so important :P )
|_NiGhTmArE_|
Level 1
Level 1

Postby frank392 on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:39 pm

HI
I use Xine and the reason is that the movie image is more accurate, let me explain myself, when i use Xp usually i use winDVD platinum 5 and it is great and when I try to see the same movie in linux using VLV and others the image is darker, with xine is less darker, i do not know why.
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Postby manishk on Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:02 am

Uncle Bob,

My decision is made...its VLC, mainly because nothing else supports .flv and most of my videos are in that format!! I just wanted to know what you people think about it!

friedtofu,

Thats something strange that I've noticed....VLC keeps crashing (in Linux). I use the same version (0.8.6) in Windows too, but it has never crashed. Strange.
manishk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby hairy_Palms on Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:35 am

if it crashes you shoukld try the latest vlc, add this repository too synaptic

deb http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/sid-i386/arch/ ./
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications