(SOLVED) No Maya startup sound

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
riki
Level 4
Level 4

(SOLVED) No Maya startup sound

Post by riki »

Since I installed Maya I have not had startup sound. :roll: I've tried all sorts reading through these forums and googling, all to no avail. I just cannot believe that the developers haven't come up with a fix. I have been running LinuxMint since Julia and never had this problem. Does anybody out there know better? Thanks for any input.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: No Maya startup sound

Post by kyphi »

The Startup Sound can be enabled or disabled according to the user's preference.

Look in Startup Applications Preferences for Login Sound and activate it by placing a tick in the box.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

That's the first thing I checked! There are many more people that are unable to get sound no matter what they try. Thanks anyhow for coming in kyphi.
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

kyphi, can you post a screenshot of your Start Sound in your Startup Applications so that I can see what command you are using? See mine below, command rm -r ~/.pulse && killall pulseaudio suggested by another poster. Alternatively just write/post the command. Thanks.
Screenshot.jpeg
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

The command in your "Edit Startup Program" removes programs. You will have to check what damage this may have caused. Hopefully you can still experience sound reproduction.

The command that I use points to a sound file in /usr/share/sounds. Check that you have a suitable sound file in that location. The command is

Code: Select all

play /usr/share/sounds/linuxmint-login.wav
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

Thanks again kyphi for trying to help me. I've tried your instructions (your code and login .wav from purple) but still no joy. Sound works for everything except startup. I think I'll give up on this one, it has never worked since installing Maya on 2 Pcs. All other versions of LM did not have this problem...
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

I loaded a live DVD of LM 13 and the Login Sound is not listed in Startup Applications nor is it played automatically.

Have a look at this excellent "tips and tricks" collection compiled by bimsebasse. It is for LinuxMint 12 but much of it works fine with version 13, especially section 1a (Get all programs and services back in Startup Applications).

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=86813&f=42

In LinuxMint 13, the relevant entry for the startup sound is called "Login Sound" and has the system icon next to it - this does not display when creating your own entry.

I do not have the login sound file in purple but have it in both /usr/share/sounds as well as /usr/share/sounds/LinuxMint/stereo.

Another program you might like to try is Ubuntu Tweak which lets you toggle the login sound on or off.

Please keep trying and posting back.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

Not for lack of trying and trying and trying but bimsebasse's 1a doesn't do anything for me. Nothing changes, nothing works. :(
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Two questions:
1. Which desktop interface are you using - Cinnamon, MATE, Gnome ?
2. What happens if you put the command (play /usr/share/sounds/linuxmint-login.wav) in the terminal ? Check first that the referred file exists.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
animaguy

No Maya startup sound

Post by animaguy »

I use xfce 64-bit on a desktop and I went without sound for a while. I do not know what I did if anything to stop the sound.

But I have another laptop 64-bit and the sound was fine.

I eventually reinstalled on the desktop for other reasons and the sound works fine now. Now I am really careful about tweaking and I keep a gedit journal of everything I change. And I play the VLC regularly to isolate if the sound goes out again.

I do not know currently the cause of my sound going out, but I wanted to share this experience.

There have been many complaints of sound going out.

But to the best of my knowledge it doesn't seem to be a default install issue.
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

kyphi wrote:Two questions:
1. Which desktop interface are you using - Cinnamon, MATE, Gnome ?
2. What happens if you put the command (play /usr/share/sounds/linuxmint-login.wav) in the terminal ? Check first that the referred file exists.
1. I am running MATE.

2. When I enter your above command in the terminal I get the following: "No such file or directory". I have checked and "login.wav" is in Purple as well as "logout.wav)
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

@animaguy

Sound works perfectly well except for login and logout which never worked since day one and I did not tweak anything when I installed LM13. As you say, there are a lot of people out there with the same problem as I have on both my desktop PC and laptop. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Last edited by riki on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Commands in Linux must be very precise - hence the "file not found" response.

The sound files found in "purple" do not include the "linuxmint-login.wav" file. You will have to find this file (use search) and specify the path to it. "login.wav" is totally different to the "linuxmint-login.wav" file.

Just as an experiment, what happens if your command in the terminal is this:

Code: Select all

play /usr/share/sounds/purple/login.wav
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

I have searched for the file linuxmint-login.wav but it tells me that it doesn't exist. I have also tried your experimental command but still no joy.

BTW, does your login sound work and if so what is your path?
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

Just a thought...what's the point in having all those .wavs, .oggs, etc. sound files if they don't work?? Skype has its own sound file and it works.
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

Another thing that I don't quite understand is why does Purple-login.wav sound works with Gmail notifier and not for LM startup? :roll:
animaguy

No Maya startup sound

Post by animaguy »

Ok, my sound just went out. The bootup and login soubd work fine bit the VLC audio is silent.

This evening I turned off the computer and when I rebooted the sound was gone.

I was doing some installation on it all day yesterday and some eclipse/python work. I have everything logged in a gedit journal.

This is very strange.

I am tempted to start a new theead regarding this matter.

This is the second time it happened.
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

Oh dear animaguy, join the club! Never had any sound problems until Maya. The developers must surely know why this is happening? There are so many people out there crying for help! :cry:
animaguy

No Maya startup sound

Post by animaguy »

Once thing I want to mention is I have a 64-bit laptop and so far this hasnt happened on the laptop.

This has only happened on the desktop.

The laptop has a builtin speaker while the desktop needs to have a speaker plugged in speaker to output sound.

The laptop is configured with a lot of customized packages. I could theoretically reinstall but it could take a day and it is a day I would rather not waste.

The laptop on the otherhand is more flexible. And councidentally I have been weighing the idea that I may be interested in a laptop reinstall.

So I will probably develop a troubleshooting plan for the laptop to see if I can come up with a solution or at the very least learn more about the sound issues with Linux Mint.

I will update on this thread whenever I have tried something.
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

Thanks for input animaguy. Both my PC and laptop are 32-bit. I believe you need at least 3GB RAM to make use of 64-bit systems. So, unfortunately, your findings may not help me. However, I'll read, with interest, your future posts on this frustrating issue. Thinking of my past experiences with Linux, if it doesn't work "out of the box" you might as well forget it. Linux boasts versatility but...

Return to “Software & Applications”