Content Blocker

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Content Blocker

Postby SEGMAT on Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:26 pm

Hello everyone,

I have to manage a family computer that has Mint installed on it and the parents want a content blocker for their kids. They don't want their kids to be able to access **** online, but don't want a general filter that also filters out things like guns and stuff because some of that is necessary for school projects on wars etc.

They want a free one and all I can find is unclear ways to install things like Dansguardian which require some paid things to make it work like blacklists and all that.

Can someone help me to get an easy to install and work with program that is totally free with blacklists that update fairly frequently in order to keep up with new websites out there?

Matt
SEGMAT
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Content Blocker

Postby Fred on Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:55 am

SEGMAT,

I probably can't help you because the suggestions I have you probably can't use.

1) No blocking software can possibly keep up with what's out there.

2) Every parent is going to have a different opinion as to what is acceptable and what isn't. Also, their personal list will probably change with the age and maturity of their children.

3) By the time a child is old enough to chose to view objectionable material, s/he is certainly old enough to find a way around it. It isn't that difficult to do.

Suggestions:

1) Put the family computer in an area that is constantly accessible to all family members. No computers in their rooms.

2) Parents should make a conscious effort to monitor from time to time what is happening on the computer.

3) If a certain child's computer time has suddenly increased, find out why. Parents should know how much time is required on the computer to do the tasks their children need to do.

4) If you are using linux, it is relatively easy to have a separate user account for each child. Log all the internet history to a file controlled by root. The parent can then review from time to time the online activity of each child.

Parental responsibility is the only thing that works. The rest is something to sell to the suckers. :-)

My opinion,

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Content Blocker

Postby SEGMAT on Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:19 pm

Ok, thanks, I'll tell them that, that's sort of what I was thinking.

Matt
SEGMAT
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications