Installing Google Earth

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Installing Google Earth

Postby Uncle Bob on Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:13 am

Over the weekend I downloaded and installed Google Earth following these instructions:
You can download and install Google Earth for Linux by following these instructions:

1. Visit http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html
2. Click on the "Linux" radio button under the category Beta (Version 4), and select "Download Google Earth."
3. Open a terminal window/console and navigate to your default downloads directory. Enter the following command in the directory: > sh GoogleEarthLinux.bin
4. Follow the prompts to complete the installation. The default location for the program is "/usr/local/google/google-earth." If Google Earth was installed in its default location, you can launch it using the following command: > /usr/local/google/google-earth/googleearth

It works fine and the instructions as above is simple and straight forward. However, it does not show up anywhere in the Mint Menu, or the default menus. Every time I launch it I have to do so through the terminal which is a bit of a pain in the arse. Installing via Automatix has the same problem.

How do I get a shortcut/icon listed in the Mint menu and the default/other (Ubuntu) menus?
Cogito sumere potum alterum.

Uncle Bob
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby JohnH on Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:45 am

G'day fro Oz,

I installed it through Automatix and it showed up in my Internet menu. It doesn't work properly though for me. The screen doesn't clear and refresh itself when shifting around. I had to go back to XP so I could look at some land I wanted to buy.

Regards
John
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Uncle Bob on Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:01 am

Weird one that. I installed both ways (download from Google's site and using Automatix) and the only difference between the 2 is the default location for it. However, I went through all the menus, and it is not listed there. I even removed the Mintmenu and readded it, I've refreshed the plugins, but still nothing.

Regarding your refresh and screen clearing issues; I think its down to your graphics card as with me it is OK-ish :?
Cogito sumere potum alterum.

Uncle Bob
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Software & Applications