My Firefox Install Suddenly and Unexplicably Died

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

My Firefox Install Suddenly and Unexplicably Died

Postby JAK on Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:53 am

:cry:
I was using my computer last night just fine. When I woke up this morning to use my computer to surf a bit, I could not connect to the outside world. My internal network is running fine, and my Windows box can surf just fine. I loaded up another Linux distro in VirtualBox and that worked as well. I tried Firefox a few more times, rebooted, shutdown completely, but still Firefox would just freeze and turn gray. I tried reinstalling Firefox, but that didn't help. I then installed Opera which took about 15 seconds and that is what I am currently using to type this.

Has this happened to anyone else? Why the heck would Firefox stop working while I was asleep?
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: My Firefox Install Suddenly and Unexplicably Died

Postby Husse on Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:56 am

Not an answer but I've found Firefox quite buggy lately....
I'm so used to it that I don't swap it for something else, but...
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby BlahBlah_X on Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:31 am

Firefox 3? Try it, its quite stable, and some of the more significant addons still work. Also, you can even import bookmarks from your firefox 2 install.
BlahBlah_X
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Fred on Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:47 am

JAK,

I have been dissatisfied with Firefox in Mint since I first downloaded it. It is a resource hog and tends to be a bit unstable, on my system anyway. As Husse pointed out, something is amiss.

I think BlahBlah_X has the best suggestion. That is what I did when beta 3 came out. I am now running beta 5 and it really is a tremendous improvement over the 2.0 series. The only draw back I can see right off hand is the extensions. Not many of the extensions are ready yet.

Fred
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby JAK on Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:00 pm

Thanks for the suggestion of installing Firefox beta 5. It seems to work well (I'm using it now) but as you pointed out, there are very few extensions that work. In fact, when I started the application it listed all but one of my extensions as being incompatible. This is a major bummer, but I'll try using it as long as possible without being frustrated about the missing extensions.

I too have been quite disappointed with Firefox for Linux because it would quite often freeze on me, but then it would eventually snap out of it. This last freeze was permanent so that Firefox became unusable.

By the way, Firefox still is a memory hog at 38mb with only one tab active.
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Husse on Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:12 pm

I tops at something like 150 MB for me (lots of tabs maybe 30+) but as I have 2 GB it's not a problem
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Software & Applications