PDO extensions for MySQL

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

PDO extensions for MySQL

Postby scarbrd on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:31 pm

Hi - new to Mint, fairly new to Linux. Thanks in advance for your patience.

I am working with my 12 year old son to set up a Minecraft server. I thought it would be a good learning experience for both of us. I am an experienced Mac user and have a lot of experience in Windows server, albeit a bit long in the tooth.

There is a Minecraft server manager for Linux called Multicraft. I am trying to get it up an running. I got the base package installed. When I go to do the install from the GUI I get a couple of errors.

It uses MySQL for the database. I have that installed. But the Multicraft install is saying I am missing the PDO extensions for MySQL. I searched here and on Google and found an install package. I ran it but also got some errors saying it failed. What I found was for Ubuntu, nothing for Mint specifically.

I am running Mint Cinnamon on a HyperV VM on a Windows 2012 Server. I've dedicated 2 processors, 2 GB RAM, and 150 GB disk space. The OS is running fine, no crashes and seems very snappy even going through RDP.

At this point I am looking for a way to install the PDO extensions for MySQL. I am not sure this will solve all my issues, but that's where I am stuck at the moment.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
scarbrd
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: PDO extensions for MySQL

Postby scarbrd on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:54 pm

I ran the script from this page (i found via Google search)

http://www.turnkeylinux.org/forum/suppo ... -appliance

The download worked, then I ran

sudo pecl install pdo

It ran for a while and then errorred out. The last few lines are below

/tmp/pear/temp/PDO/pdo_dbh.c: In function 'pdo_stmt_instantiate':
/tmp/pear/temp/PDO/pdo_dbh.c:410:8: error: 'zval' has no member named 'refcount'
/tmp/pear/temp/PDO/pdo_dbh.c:411:8: error: 'zval' has no member named 'is_ref'
/tmp/pear/temp/PDO/pdo_dbh.c: In function 'pdo_stmt_construct':
/tmp/pear/temp/PDO/pdo_dbh.c:435:6: error: 'zend_fcall_info' has no member named 'object_pp'
/tmp/pear/temp/PDO/pdo_dbh.c:458:6: error: 'zend_fcall_info_cache' has no member named 'object_pp'
/tmp/pear/temp/PDO/pdo_dbh.c: In function 'zim_PDO_setAttribute':
/tmp/pear/temp/PDO/pdo_dbh.c:752:12: error: 'zval' has no member named 'refcount'
/tmp/pear/temp/PDO/pdo_dbh.c: In function 'zim_PDO_getAttribute':
/tmp/pear/temp/PDO/pdo_dbh.c:818:28: error: 'zval' has no member named 'refcount'
/tmp/pear/temp/PDO/pdo_dbh.c: In function 'pdo_hash_methods':
/tmp/pear/temp/PDO/pdo_dbh.c:1122:24: warning: assignment discards 'const' qualifier from pointer target type [enabled by default]
/tmp/pear/temp/PDO/pdo_dbh.c:1126:20: warning: assignment discards 'const' qualifier from pointer target type [enabled by default]
make: *** [pdo_dbh.lo] Error 1
ERROR: `make' failed
scarbrd
Level 1
Level 1

Re: PDO extensions for MySQL

Postby chillecharlie on Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:15 pm

Hey,

Fun to see someone is actually running a minecraft server on the operating system i am using to maintain mine :D
My server is not running on Mint though, but it is on the same kernel.

Have you already managed to get your server up and running? i guess you do, oh well maybe some other users are reading this so ill explain a little what to do :)

First things first are you running Oracle Java Runtime Environment? my personal suggestion would be to use the 7 version, though many people claim 6 would be better, i am going to explain how to install 7 though.

In a console do the following
1: sudo echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu precise main" | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
2: sudo echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu precise main" | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
3: sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys EEA14886
4: sudo apt-get update
5: sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer
Accept the license when it asks you to and finish the installer

Now you have Oracle Java 7 installed, i would advice to install craftbukkit (http://www.bukkit.org) clearly if you are running a small/medium size server, this will do just fine without a control panel.
Installing bukkit is quite easy, just download the latest version of craftbukkit, put it in /home/yourusername/bukkit and rename the file to craftbukkit.jar
Once youve done that you open up gedit and put in the following text (sidenote this only works with the installation of Oracle Java 7 as described above, install in any other way and you need to modify the ld_library_path!)

#!/bin/bash
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/jre/lib/amd64"
java -jar -Xms2500M -Xmx2500M craftbukkit.jar

In case you want to give your server more then 2GB of ram, change BOTH the Xms2500M and Xmx2500M to a higher value, do not forget that the Java process itself will use also some memory, and so will your operating system.
On a system with 4GB of memory i would advice to set this to 2500M just to be safe.

Safe this file, right next to the craftbukkit.jar in /home/yourusername/bukkit and call it run.sh then open the folder, right click the file click properties, then click permissions tab and select allow executing file as program then click close, now all you have to do to start your server is double click the run.sh a popup will come up, click on "run in terminal" and voilla your server is online :)
If you are planning to make this a big server, instead of a small/medium one or you just WANT a control panel :) then there is a freeware called Spacebukkit, google it, that is the best control panel available and its free!

Good luck anyone who will be using my guide :) May your server be just as good as mine! (KingSize Minecraft in the netherlands!)
chillecharlie
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications