Trying to use Wine

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Trying to use Wine

Postby T J Tulley on Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:08 pm

I read somewhere that Wine is capable of running Outlook Express, so thought I would have a go.

First, I ran apt-get update, then apt-get install wine. This gave me the latest version from the Mint repository.
Next I printed man wine, and tried various commands until responses appeared, as follows:

~$ wine /media/sda1\\Program\ Files\\Outlook\ Express\msimn.exe
reported that MSOERT2.DLL, MSOEACCT.DLL and INETCOMM.DLL were not found.
These all sit in Windows/system32 so I copied them from there into Outlook Express so that they are in the same place as msimn.exe, and tried the same command again. This time it shows action as follows:

fixme:actctx:CreateActCtxA 0x32f76c 00000000
fixme:actctx:ActivateActCtx 0xf00baa 0x32f73c
fixme:actctx:DeactivateActCtx 00000000 00f00bad
fixme:actctx:CreateActCtxA 0x32f760 00000000
fixme:actctx:ActivateActCtx 0xf00baa 0x32f730
fixme:actctx:DeactivateActCtx 00000000 00f00bad
fixme:shell:MLLoadLibraryA ("acctres.dll",0x68810000,0) semi-stub!
fixme:actctx:ReleaseActCtx 0xf00baa

and a small box appeared saying: "Outlook Express could not be started becasue MSOERES.DLL could not be found. Outlook Express may not be installed correctly".

However, msoeres.dll is in fact present in the Outlook Express folder. It carries the same date as those just copied to there from system32. So why is it not found? What should I do next, or differently?

I just want to learn how to manage Wine and learn something of its capabilities. In particular, I'ld like to run a Vivanco webcam which needs DirectX 9.1 according to its spec - i fear that may be a taller order?

I shall be most grateful for advice and hints.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Trying to use Wine

Postby greenducky on Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:49 pm

I understand your curiosity's for wanting to learn what wine is capable of, but i just cant understand why you would want to run outlook express. when there are other mail clients out there i.e Thunderbird, Evolution. ?
greenducky
Level 2
Level 2

Postby T J Tulley on Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:22 pm

Thanks for reply - I would like to run Outook Express (6) under my Linux Mint (Celena) system because I have a large archive (~ 1GB) of OE e-mails which I want to edit and insert into my Thunderbird mail records. This is NOT simple!

Windows is not running on my PC - there are 3 images of a Windows XP Pro system but they won't boot - they get as far as "Installing your preferences" then abruptly change to "Saving your preferences" and Shut down. (Incidentally, the 3 partition images all have identical UUIDs!). I use them as data stores.

I have Windows XP Pro running on my laptop but importing the large e-mail folder into that lost its directory structure - editing it there is a very slow job.

I have received advice about possibly repairing one of the Windows systems but this will involve setting up Windows in another PC first - a fairly substantial exercise. My older PC hasn't (and won't accept) enough RAM.

Meanwhile, I would be grateful for advice about the next step to get OE running under Wine - it is reported to be possible.

Also, what about my Vivanco "ISeeYou" webcam - a face-tracking item requiring DirectX, for which I have a driver CD?
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Tony G on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:45 am

My best guess (and it's just a guess) is that you should download and then install outlook express on your linux partition. When you install it, Wine will handle the install, and then you'll be able to launch it from your Wine menu subsection.

But I concur with the others regarding using either Thunderbird or Evolution (Gnome) or Kontact (KDE). There are ways to import messages from other mail clients into each.
# Edit: Whoops. Just read your reasons for needing OE first. That's what I get for posting while undercaffeinated.

Fwiw,

Anthony
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

--Carl von Clausewitz
Tony G
Level 3
Level 3

Postby JohnH on Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:52 am

Hi there,

I read somewhere that programs that rely on intergrated files and folders with the windows os will not always run under Wine. I could be wrong. Stand alone programs such as Total Commander (used to be Windows commanders until the lawyers made them change the name) and Media Grabber and many other non M$ programs do run okay. You may have trouble with IE though because of its integration with the OS (as I understand things......)

Regards
John
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Software & Applications