Seem to have broken beryl

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Seem to have broken beryl

Postby SpudGun on Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:49 am

Can anyone help, ive just installed mint3 on my home pc, all was going well till i did a manual edit of xorg, to fix that strange login screen problem, the one where the login box is in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, anyway, thats fixed, i did it by removing all the screen sizes that were larger than the one i wanted, but only on the bottom row of xorg, the main ones were ok, doing this is never a problem usually so it may be just a coincidence. now when i turn beryl on nothing happens, apart from that mint is running great. :|
SpudGun

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Seem to have broken beryl

Postby Husse on Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:52 am

So you've edited xorg.conf and now Beryl does not work
Did it work before?
Did you do anything more?
Please post your xorg.conf and tell us what video card and version (exactly) of Mint you have
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby SpudGun on Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:03 am

Husse wrote:So you've edited xorg.conf and now Beryl does not work
Did it work before?
Please post your xorg.conf and tell us what video card and version (exactly) of Mint you have

Yes it was working great, the only other thing i did was, to run that add argb visuals command again cos i had lost the window borders, i cant show you my xorg.conf till tomorrow cos i'm on my work pc now, and that running mint4.
SpudGun

Postby SpudGun on Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:24 am

Sorry i forgot to add, i'm running cassandra at home, and ive got a Gforce3 64meg. :lol:
SpudGun

Postby SpudGun on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:55 am

I had this mad idea to uninstall the restricted drivers, then install then again using envy, the reason for this being that i had installed the drivers before the kernel was updated and i remember reading some ware that you should always uninstall video drivers before a kernel update, not sure if thats right or wrong, but one thing i do know is, its trashed my system at home, nevermind it still boots to xp. Looks like i'll be doing a clean install tomorrow morning. Nothing lost except time, and thats only about half an hour. :lol:
SpudGun

Postby SpudGun on Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:35 am

Husse wrote:So you've edited xorg.conf and now Beryl does not work
Did it work before?

Thought I'd let you know, i've now discovered what caused the original problem,before i broke beryl, and that was the oversized login screen, which was about 4 times the size of my monitor, this happens after you run sudo nvidia-settings and then save to xorg, this is something that i always do and i've always had that screen problem. this time round i've done a clean install, got all the updates( all 217 of them) then installed the restricted drivers last, then rebooted. everything looks fine, when i say fine what i realy mean is , absolutely perfect!. So this time i've decided to do something very strange, and that is NOTHING!.
The strange thing is i'm not getting the nvidia logo at startup and i'm not getting that window border problem where you have to run the command: sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals -d 24, and beryl is working great. All this tells me that its the navidia settings app thats the real problem here, maybe thats why its not with the restricted drivers for hardy Heron anymore? :lol:
SpudGun

Postby Husse on Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:54 am

why its not with the restricted drivers for hardy Heron anymore?

I think this has always been separate from the drivers. Lets hope there's a better solution in Hardy
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications