Picture preview in browser upload

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Picture preview in browser upload

Postby oakhilltop on Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:37 pm

When uploading files to a website like shutterfly or walmart, I click on choose files and a file manager comes up. It appears to be the same in firefox and chromium. There is no, or a very tiny, preview of the pictures in the directory. I've received complaint that in windows or macs, there is a nice preview of the pictures.

Is there a setting, or plugin to get a preview of the pictures in the file manager that the browser pops up?
oakhilltop
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Picture preview in browser upload

Postby wyrdoak on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:03 pm

I don't know what Nemo, Caja and Nautilus do now but with Thunar there is a zoom option to make your icons or previews larger or smaller. In File upload there is a preview to the right.
Attachments
Screenshota.png
Screenshota.png (86.59 KiB) Viewed 158 times
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (126.03 KiB) Viewed 159 times
-Dell Mini Netbook-Atom CPU-N270-1.60ghz; 16gbs mini ePCI PATA SSD
RAM- 1gbs-(Maya-Xfce) LInux 3.2.0.57-generic(i686)
SolydX (32bit)
wyrdoak
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Picture preview in browser upload

Postby oakhilltop on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:56 am

This is on a laptop that is used by pre-school teachers. The laptop stopped working and after a trip to a repair shop (who said it was beyond repair), ended up on my table. I was not able to get windows to run on it, but was able to install Mint 13. I'm not entirely sure that it is stable. It appears the ext4 may be more tolerant of disk problems than ntfs.

I set it up to use cinnamon for their login.

The teachers tried linux and the lack of picture preview was a big issue. They take lots of pictures of the kids and want to get prints. They are use to going to the uploader and seeing nice previews. I can try installing xfce or kde and see if they like those. I was seeing some issues with java script crashing when my wife (a teacher) was showing me the problem. So, they may need a new laptop anyway. The repair shop said they tried a different hard drive and saw read errors. I was skeptical of that when I saw linux install, but now I'm thinking they may have been right.

Funny how one thing like this makes new users say ugghh to linux.
oakhilltop
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Software & Applications