[SOLVED]Auto Update or Notification

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
A Future Pilot

[SOLVED]Auto Update or Notification

Post by A Future Pilot »

So I've got Linux Mint 13 running on my mom's computer, and she's TERRIBLE about running updates regularly. So I need to either have it auto-update (everything, including the ppa's etc.) or have a very prominant, always-on notification that won't go away until the computer has been updated.

I tried using unattended-upgrade, but I couldn't get it to work...

Any thoughts?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
A Future Pilot

Re: Auto Update or Notification

Post by A Future Pilot »

Well I found out that anacron wasn't running right, so I purged it and reinstalled it, then created a bash script to do apt-get update, apt-get upgrade -y, and apt-get autoclean in the cron.daily directory. I think it's working now.
cdaaawg
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED]Auto Update or Notification

Post by cdaaawg »

By what means did you determine anacron was not working properly? Unattended updates are not working for me either. Thanks for any enlightenment.

Carl
9a6s

Re: [SOLVED]Auto Update or Notification

Post by 9a6s »

not sure how to determine anacron isn't running correctly either but ...

i don't see what i'd call auto update occurrences in the logs:

/var/log/apt/history.x
it does show an instance of /usr/sbin/synaptic command being run --non-interactive back in Aug 2013. but that is the only time

/var/log/unattended-upgrades/unattended-upgrades-shutdown.log
it doesn't show any entries

i'm going to try "@A Future Pilot" suggestion that works for him to create that bash script with apt-get commands

Return to “Software & Applications”