mintUpdate icon says "up to date" - even if updates avail

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: mintUpdate icon says "up to date" - even if updates avai

Post by karlchen »

norm.h wrote:
niowluka wrote:[...] Although frankly, I would expect mintUpdate to check for updates right after starting, and then wait, not the other way round..
That was my expectation too, but I've noticed that if any updates are available they're not notified until at least after the first "sleep" period.
Well, I guess the riddle has been solved, the riddle, not the problem.
On previous Mint versions, mintupdate checked the repositories once after it had been launched and then went to sleep for the configured interval. Then it checked the repositories again and went to sleep and so on.
Since Mint 17, mintupdate only checks the apt cache when it is launched, then goes to sleep for the configured interval. And only afterwards it really checks the repositories. This matches my recent observations, too.
As my interval has been set to 3 hours mintupdate frequently does not have a chance of waking up before the system gets shutdown again for the night. (Mint 17 is still just a trial system here used for short hours in the evening. My office machine runs on Mint 13 still, and so far there is no good reason to change this.)

--
P.S.:
On Mint 17, the sleep interval has been shortened to 1 hour in order to give mintupdate a chance to do its job. We'll see ...
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Re: mintUpdate icon says "up to date" - even if updates avai

Post by norm.h »

karlchen wrote: Since Mint 17, mintupdate only checks the apt cache when it is launched, then goes to sleep for the configured interval. And only afterwards it really checks the repositories. .
One has to wonder why this change.

Return to “Software & Applications”