Xorg high cpu usage

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Xorg high cpu usage

Postby Quality.mE on Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:03 am

hello.
im quite new on linux so maybe the solution is quite simple but i tried searching around and didnt find anything.
my Xorg uses from 1 to 5% of cpu if no windows are open, but if i open one or more windows it bumps up to 70%.
i use Daryna main edition, gnome environment, cpu intel core 2 duo E6600, geforce 8800 gt, 2 gb ram (hope i didnt miss anything)...

have some ideas of how can i lower the Xorg cpu usage??

THX
Quality.mE
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Xorg high cpu usage

Postby Husse on Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:07 am

That's way to much
Which video driver do you use - the 8800 is really new...
And does it work well - someone else in the forum wants to know how the 8800 works in Mint
The wrong driver might do something...
I have two FF, nautilus, gedit and the terminal open apart from the system monitor which shows about 3% useage with spikes of about 40% about every third second (nivdia 6600)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Xorg high cpu usage

Postby Quality.mE on Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:02 pm

ok i figure it out.
the problem wasnt caused by normal gnome linux mint windows.
ive installed wine and ran steam on it, and the steam window opened (not the game windows, just the steam main page) even minimized causes high cpu usage.
must be a bug of some sort. i didnt try other Windows (OS) games/programs to see of it happens only with steam or even other windows based programs.
i think that the problem can be the result of wine or steam incompatibility with the Xorg, mint or the nvidia driver. i have no idea even because i dont know almost nothing about linux.

anyway the geforce 8800 runs good on mint. Xorg goes from 2% (with some open windows) to 10% cpu usage if u have a lot of opened windows.
Quality.mE
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications