how to update to latest java?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

how to update to latest java?

Postby slimscraggle on Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:41 am

I always have this issue in Debian based distros... how do I install and/or update to the latest java jre (at this time 6 update 5)? Why is the version in synaptic 2 versions old when there are critical security updates? [I really only need a response to the first question but would be interested in responses to the 2nd.]
slimscraggle
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: how to update to latest java?

Postby Fred on Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:40 am

slimscraggle,

Here is the answer to your first question:

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

The answer to your second question is a bit harder, so I'll pass the buck, so-to-speak, upstream. Mint uses Ubuntu's repos, for the most part. So the question should probably be directed to them. On the other hand, Ubuntu uses mostly Debian repos, so the buck stops there. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby slimscraggle on Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:35 pm

I was hoping for something a little more detailed. Am I just suppose to run the bin file?
slimscraggle
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:20 pm

Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby KHall on Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:13 am

I am trying to install update 10 of Java JRE 6 and having a hard go of it. I notice the repositories are only at update 7 currently and I need the newest version to run another piece of software.

I've followed Sun's instructions exactly as found at: http://java.com/en/download/help/500001 ... extracting

After completing the process however, Firefox still only shows update 7 as the current plugin (about:plugins in address bar). If anyone has encountered or been able to remedy such a problem, the advice would be greatly appreciated.
KHall
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications