Trying to get Windows Firefox to work with Mint 13 KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
david0858

Trying to get Windows Firefox to work with Mint 13 KDE

Post by david0858 »

I'm using 64bit Mint 13 KDE and I have Firefox 16.02 on both Mint and Windows using the same profile (/media/truecrypt1/Firefox/Profiles in Mint and j:\Firefox\Profiles in Windows) and it works fine. What I would like to do is run Windows Firefox with Mint from a launcher with this profile and I can't get it to work.

I am using Forte Agent (a Windows program that has worked under Wine for years and my outbox goes back to '96 so I'm not changing programs) for email and news groups. I have set my Windows drives to the same drive letters in Wine (j:\ in Windows is J:\ in Wine and is /media/truecrypt1). If I click on a link in Agent it runs "J:\Firefox\firefox.exe -profile J:\Firefox\Profiles" which loads and runs the Windows Firefox just fine so I know it WILL work.

This is the only way I can get the Windows Firefox with the profile I want to work, though. No combination I can come up with on a launcher will work. I either get a bad profile name error or it loads a generic profle.

What do I need for the launcher command? :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Trying to get Windows Firefox to work with Mint 13 KDE

Post by karlchen »

Hello, david0858.

The commandline which you are trying to launch

Code: Select all

J:\Firefox\firefox.exe -profile J:\Firefox\Profiles
syntactically is a Windows commandline. Only Wine can understand it. Therefore for the Linux launcher, you will have to transform it to a commandline which launches wine. Pass the Windows commandline to Wine as its commandline argument.

env WINEPREFIX="/home/david0858/.wine" wine J:\\Firefox\\firefox.exe -profile J:\\Firefox\\Profiles
You will have to correct the value of the variable WINEPREFIX to match your real environment.
Note the double backslashes. They are required in order to hide the backslashes in the Windows pathnames from the Linux shell.

HTH,
Karl
--
P.S.:
Though I hope you will succeed in creating a functional launcher, I really fail to see any advantage in launching Windows Firefox via Wine over using the genuine Linux Firefox. :? OK, but this is your decision.
I simply use the sync service buitl-in to Firefox in order to keep all my Firefox profiles scattered across several Windows and Linux system synchronized.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Trying to get Windows Firefox to work with Mint 13 KDE

Post by Flemur »

Here's the code I use to open files (either "$foobar filename" or with thunar, etc) on a linux FS with foobar running under wine:

#!/bin/sh

QUICKPARLOCATION="c:\\Pgms\\foobar2000\\foobar2000.exe"
PARAM=`winepath -w "$*"`
wine "$QUICKPARLOCATION" "$PARAM" &
exit 0
You can probably hack that to provide the profile location; try the linux location first, like the "open" from, say thunar, would do...I think.
It's just an executable text file called "foobar", in my PATH.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Software & Applications”