Problem with system freezing (for a short while)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Problem with system freezing (for a short while)

Postby dougwilson on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:20 pm

I have installed version 3.2.8-23-generic (x86_64)
gnu - C - Compiler 4.6.3

I've an older gigabyte 32bit Nvidia
CPU 4000+ (AMD)

I came here today because of freezes. Long minute plus lock downs (100% cpu)

I started removing packages, installed DNT (online don't track me service) and now run BleachBit once a day.

I see evidence that there are some packages that shouldn't be installed on my computer while they'll run fine on yours (chipset, memory, architecture etc.)

Linux installed with update options 1,2 and 3. I don't want to test 4 and 5, I've had trouble with 1,2 and 3.

I suspect all those online tracking bastards can bog down my computer because since DNT I've had no " A script has stopped responding on this page" message and no stalled web pages. Also running ClamAV (GUI).

I have two (Mint Maya) boxes and one I'm putting together. My machines act differently to different software. Neither one of them likes Banshee, one of them hates Skype, the other will works fine, video calls and all.

On the computer I use for working on website I got rid of a Pidgin chat, left xchat removed thunderbird and Libre Office (only 1gb memory).

I think memory is significant along with start up applications (I don't have any Bluetooth devices).

Any software anybody has had trouble with I'd like to hear about it. Any other freezes fixed as well.

PS, I wouldn't count out crossed fingers, charms, magical chants or spells...
dougwilson
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Problem with system freezing (for a short while)

Postby xenopeek on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:28 pm

Post split from topic viewtopic.php?f=47&t=112543. Let's not lump everything on the same topic please. The others on that topic have Intel Ivy Bridge CPU and GPU, you have something else. As zerozero also asked on that topic, please include the output of inxi -F command.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Problem with system freezing (for a short while)

Postby DrHu on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:40 pm

What I would suspect with 1GB of RAM available to the OS + applications, is that with too many applications running there might be slower responses on the system, but that if paging (swapping) isn't occurring, then you haven't been exhausting your memory (RAM + Storage (hard drive swap ) and you are OK

If you do get some swapping, you could consider altering your operational style to run one application at a time, finish with it and then start your next application
--doing so would ensure the most RAM for the running application..
    You can also assign more RAM to an application when loading it
    --for example LibreOffice can run a bit quicker when (on start) when it has more RAM assigned/allocated to its own use..

Freezing of the system is something else: it is a mix of an application + a desktop + the OS kernel
http://askubuntu.com/questions/4408/wha ... tu-freezes
--a quick guide to some ideas when a computer freezes.
Last edited by DrHu on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Return to Software & Applications