Synaptic Manager Weirdness

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Synaptic Manager Weirdness

Postby ChipButty on Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:59 am

When I open Synaptic Manager via the launcher menu in KDE I get a dialog box to enter my password but once I've done that Synaptic doesn't open. Using the terminal to open Synaptic works except I get this in the terminal window

Code: Select all
(synaptic:2373): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(synaptic:2373): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(synaptic:2373): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

When I see things like CRITICAL and WARNING I start to get a little concerned. Anybody have any ideas what is going on?
ChipButty
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Synaptic Manager Weirdness

Postby ChipButty on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:55 am

Well I've sorted out the problem of Synaptic not opening. There are two files, at least in KDE, that need to be edited. "synaptic.desktop" and "synaptic-kde.desktop" both located in usr/share/applications. The lines "Exec=synaptic-pkexec" and "Exec=synaptic" need to be changed to "Exec=kdesu synaptic".

So now Synaptic opens after I enter the password. Not sure if I should be concerned with the warnings which still show if I open Synaptic in the terminal but would still like to know.
ChipButty
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Synaptic Manager Weirdness

Postby TUXCANFLY on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:43 pm

Hi Folks: Don't know if this is the 'proper' way to resolve this issue; however, I edited the icon and changed the command
from 'synaptic-pkexec' to 'gksu synaptic' and it appears to function as it did at first install. That is the security popup
asks for root auth and then launches synaptic. As a workaround until I stumbled upon this resolution, I was launching
synaptic -r from a root terminal.

I do like the MATE desktop, however, items like this could disuade new folks.

Best TUXCANFLY

Not only that he doesn't have to buy his own ticket.
TUXCANFLY
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications