WINE compilation fails to find SOUND system !!!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AJSB

WINE compilation fails to find SOUND system !!!

Post by AJSB »

Hello,

1st post here :D

I'm kinda new with LINUX MINT and i have a problem...

I installed LINUX MINT 13 XFCE, updated and upgraded it, compiled and installed Kernel 3.6.6 (with my usual settings that include NO virtualization), installed NVIDIA driver 310.14 , installed STEAM client for LINUX, installed a bunch of software and some non-steam native games togheter with some Steam Native games and everything works PERFECT...

....except ETQW game VOIP that as usual with any distro with pulseaudio and my audio hardware, as soon as i press one of the keys that activates a VOIP channel , crashes game....solution for that is remove pulseaudio.

However, in a 1st stage i ddin't remove PA....i wanted to test if everything else was OK with it before that final phase.

Then, the moment to compile WINE 1.5.17 arrived and i had a nasty surprise.
I installed all missing dependencies except the ones about ISDN and OSS4 and proceed with ./configure...

Surprise !!! configuration reports :

configure: WARNING: No sound system was found. Windows applications will be silent.

This NEVER happened to me with any distro !!!
I gone on anyway , compiled and installed and launched winecfg....yeap....AUDIO test FAILS !!! It's completely mutted !!!

2nd attempt....removed everything , removed PA this way:

sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio
sudo apt-get install alsa-base alsa-tools alsa-tools-gui alsa-utils alsa-oss
sudo apt-get install linux-sound-base alsamixergui gnome-alsamixer alltray
sudo reboot
gstreamer-properties

Selected ALSA for both input and output in Audio tab and tested with all apps (except WINE) including TOTEM....
Success including ETQW that no longer crashes when using VOIP...

Compiled WINE again....sound FAIL AGAIN !!!

Removed ewverything and experiment with other WINE version that i know works in other distros (1.5.16)....sound FAIL AGAIN !!!

Last ditch....removed everything and used PPA:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine1.5

It install WINE 1.5.17...

Launch winecfg again....SUCCESS !!!! Audio tests WORK !!!!

Final check....unpack again WINE 1.5.17 source code.... ./configure again....SOUND FAIL AGAIN !!!

After all these experiments it's clear that :
1. It's not the source code of WINE that is the problem.
2. It's not a missing lib.
3. It's not PA or ALSA.

4. ,,,,what i'm doing wrong ?!? It's something that needs to be done at .configure stage ?!?

No matter using the PPA works , i want to have the freedom to compile myself the code and for weird reason , it fails to proper find sound system !!!

Any ideas how to solve this ?!?

TIA,
AJSB
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AJSB

Re: WINE compilation fails to find SOUND system !!!

Post by AJSB »

Well i found solution by myself :D

The thing is that configure makes a overall job reporting the basic name of the missing libraries....but it completely failed to report one....

I executed following command...

sudo apt-get install libasound2-dev

...and... SUCCESS !!!

Audio is now working !!!

Return to “Software & Applications”