Ran update manager, and now libreoffice won't open

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lannatwin
Level 3
Level 3

Ran update manager, and now libreoffice won't open

Post by lannatwin »

Ran update manager, and now libreoffice won't open. The hard disk spins for a while and then nothing. Ran update manager again and get this.. and it says my computer is up to date. Mint 13 with cinnamon. Suggestions? Thank you.

Failed to fetch gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise_universe_binary-i386_Packages Hash Sum mismatch
Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: Ran update manager, and now libreoffice won't open

Post by cwsnyder »

I don't have a Cinnamon desktop, so I am going to ask you to do some command line work. Enter the following in a terminal window:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Do you get any different errors when this line runs?
lannatwin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lannatwin »

After several reboots, libreoffice started working again.

I entered the code in a command line and got the same error...

W: Failed to fetch gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise_universe_binary-i386_Packages Hash Sum mismatch

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

For some reason, one of the indices used by the upgrade manager(s) is not downloading properly, that is the download of http://archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise_universe_binary-i386_Packages when checked against the hash used to check that it gets a good download is reporting the error. The only thing which I might suggest is to repeat updating your packages until this error is fixed. The sudo apt-get update terminal command is one way to check if the update download finishes without error.
lannatwin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lannatwin »

Thank you. It is strange because my laptop, which is essentially a clone of my desktop, isn't experiencing any errors. :?:

Return to “Software & Applications”