Restore from Backup Folder - SOLVED

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ozdroggy
Level 2
Level 2

Restore from Backup Folder - SOLVED

Post by ozdroggy »

Today I downloaded and installed Linux Mint 13 my previous system being Mint 12. I thought I was following the procedure indicated in the tutorial at http://comunity.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2 but when I did my backup I used a "Backup" that had a single 'black box (safe?' icon. The result was a folder "MintBackUp" which contains 224 duplicity-full files, 20 duplicity-inc files and 2 each signatures and manifest files as in this screen shot:
Screenshot-TeraB.png
When I restore using the correct Backup Tool selecting the folder I end up with the folder and the included files in "michael" which does not work :shock:
To me this must be a folder full of archive files but when I select the 'archive' option I only get one file at a time.

1. How do I restore from this backup folder?

2. If it can be done, do I select Overwrite as Never or Always?

Thanks for any clues as ALL my emails and much else is hidden in this "mess" :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mike.

Linux Mint
Release Linux Mint 21.1 Vera 64-bit
Kernel Linux 5.15.0-72-generic x86_64
MATE 1.26.0

Hardware
Memory: 3.8 GiB
Processor: Intel(R) Core i3-4160 CPU @ 3.60GHz x 4

System Status
Available disk space: 299.8 GiB
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Restore from Backup Folder

Post by remoulder »

ozdroggy wrote:a "Backup" that had a single 'black box (safe?' icon
This is not mintbackup it is deja-dup (package name is duplicity) so you should use that to restore.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
ozdroggy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ozdroggy »

remoulder wrote:
ozdroggy wrote:a "Backup" that had a single 'black box (safe?' icon
This is not mintbackup it is deja-dup (package name is duplicity) so you should use that to restore.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Yes, deja-dup was the answer and my sense of humour has returned. :lol:

The co-operation of users of Linux is the GREAT thing about this operating system; hopefully in a few more years I will be able to contribute more and ask for less help.

There is just one question remaining.

When doing the restore I was given the choice between "Restore files to original locations" - selected by default and "Restore files to specific folder - Restore folder michael". As I had done a clean install of Mint 13 I decided that the "original locations" would have been 'destroyed' so I chose the second option. After two tries that appeared to be going OK but did not result in any restoration I then ran with the default "original locations" and all was revealed.

Why would the selection of "michael" not work? Just curious. :?
Mike.

Linux Mint
Release Linux Mint 21.1 Vera 64-bit
Kernel Linux 5.15.0-72-generic x86_64
MATE 1.26.0

Hardware
Memory: 3.8 GiB
Processor: Intel(R) Core i3-4160 CPU @ 3.60GHz x 4

System Status
Available disk space: 299.8 GiB
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

ozdroggy wrote:ran with the default "original locations"
Don't use deja-dup so guessing here. Unless your original user had the exact same name and user-id then /home/michael would be a different user and unless you ran deja-dup as root you would not have had the rights to create it. Restoring to default locations presumably means to the locations within the home of the user you are currently logged in as so you would have the necessary permissions.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Software & Applications”