[Mint 14] I can't configure the accounts on Gwibber!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Emmanuel_Chanel
Level 1
Level 1

[Mint 14] I can't configure the accounts on Gwibber!

Post by Emmanuel_Chanel »

My Gwibber is version 3.6.0-0ubuntu1, installed by apt-get on Linux Mint 14 Nadia, MATE 64 bit edition. After I deleted Gwibber's personal files, I cannot configure the accounts to handle on Gwibber. I cannot add any of my microblog accounts. .cache/gwibber/gwibber.log was like this:
2012-11-24 05:06:05,709 - Service MainThread : INFO - Service starting
2012-11-24 05:06:05,709 - Service MainThread : INFO - Running from the source tree
2012-11-24 05:06:05,752 - root MainThread : ERROR - Could not find any typelib for Unity
2012-11-24 05:06:05,806 - Dispatcher MainThread : INFO - Found 0 accounts
2012-11-24 05:06:11,622 - Dispatcher MainThread : INFO - Gwibber Service is being shutdown
And after intalling gir1.2-unity-5.0, it's like this:
2012-11-24 12:36:36,763 - root MainThread : INFO - Logger initialized
2012-11-24 12:36:36,781 - Service MainThread : INFO - Service starting
2012-11-24 12:36:36,781 - Service MainThread : INFO - Running from the source tree
2012-11-24 12:36:37,605 - Dispatcher MainThread : INFO - Found 0 accounts
2012-11-24 12:36:44,480 - Dispatcher MainThread : INFO - Gwibber Service is being shutdown
Anyway, I have a problem that I cannot configure my account on Gwibber on Linux Mint 14 Nadia MATE 64bit. Although I posted this problem on Gwibber's bugzilla. But I feel also that I may need to ask this community.
I want to shout repeatingly strongly enough to refer that on my blog entry about Linux Mint 14 Nadia MATE 64bit installation...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
NeedCoffee2

Re: [Mint 14] I can't configure the accounts on Gwibber!

Post by NeedCoffee2 »

I resolved a similar issue with Gwibber using Facebook. I'm on LM 14 Cinnamon 64 bit though, not MATE. But, maybe thiis info will help you. It took me two steps.

1. Had to make gnome online accounts available so I could add my facebook account to it. (This might not be necessary in MATE?) i followed Clem's workaround that CaptainMark posted here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&p=650696

2. Installed Empathy. I think Empathy has some dependencies that magically solved the problem with Gwibber - telepathy or gnome account related.

Hope this helps.
Emmanuel_Chanel
Level 1
Level 1

NeedCoffee2: Your post really helps me!

NeedCoffee2 wrote:I resolved a similar issue with Gwibber using Facebook. I'm on LM 14 Cinnamon 64 bit though, not MATE. But, maybe thiis info will help you. It took me two steps.

1. Had to make gnome online accounts available so I could add my facebook account to it. (This might not be necessary in MATE?) i followed Clem's workaround that CaptainMark posted here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&p=650696

2. Installed Empathy. I think Empathy has some dependencies that magically solved the problem with Gwibber - telepathy or gnome account related.

Hope this helps.
Hello! This really helps. Thank you so much!
When I installed gnome-control-center and empathy, I could configure my accounts even after uninstalling empathy.
Emmanuel_Chanel
Level 1
Level 1

Well, after all, I built a .deb package from the source by myself.
It solves the problem on this topic. But I cannot add my Facebook account... :(
NeedCoffee2

Post by NeedCoffee2 »

Shortly after my November post it stopped working again. Since then I have been using the browser for all Facebook activities. However, last night I stumbled on a solution that has it working again. It involves a minor tweak to the python code of the Gwibber Facebbook plugin. Follow the instructions at this link.

http://planetared.com/2013/01/soluciona ... 4-y-12-10/

The site is in Spanish. Google will translate it good enough. When you copy / paste the python code make sure to do it when the page is rendered in Spanish. Otherwise, spacing will get messed up and it might not work. I had that problem the first time. Spacing is critical.

My understanding of the problem is that Facebook made some sort of change to their API and the upstream Gwibber folks either have not fixed it, or at least a fix has not made it to the Ubuntu or Linux Mint repos.

Return to “Software & Applications”