Help Fontmatrix 9.99 -- I screwed up [Solved]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
revlarry

Help Fontmatrix 9.99 -- I screwed up [Solved]

Post by revlarry »

System -- quad core, 16 gig of memory.
OS -- Mint 13, Mate

I tried to use Fontmatrix to disable some fonts on my system -- but never saw any changes (or indication of activation or de-activation). I closed the program. Perhaps 5 minutes later, almost all the fonts on my system turned into little black boxes for each letter. I am assuming when I de-activated fonts, I must have deactivated all the fonts I was using. Only my word processor shows any letters -- and a total of 2 fonts, neither of which I use.

I can still find Fontmatrix on my system, but can't read any of the menu items, obviously. I would like to activate all system fonts to see if that will bring back all the nice little letters. :D

What would help? Could someone post a couple of screen shots showing Fontmatrix 9.99 (or whatever is current for Mint 13) -- I think I can figure out what I need with the basic screen shot of the main display, and a shot of which-ever menu item lists the "activate all system fonts" option.

Another possible help would simply be directions -- like "main page, 4th item, 3rd line down".

Any help you can give to get me over my own stupidity would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
revlarry

Re: Help Fontmatrix 9.99 -- I screwed up [Solved]

Post by revlarry »

It was indeed a matter of deactivated fonts via Fontmatrix.

When I finished the work I needed to do on the Windows XP system, I got permission to reboot into a "live CD" mode for Mint 13. Once up and running, I used the live Software Manager to locate and add Fontmatrix to the live system. I opened the program, and looked over the menu structure, and located the menu items I needed. I then went back to the Mint 13 system I was trying to repair, and used the information thus gained to affect a partial restoration of readable fonts. From there, I altered the desktop to use the fonts I had back. Then I switched font managers and got the rest of the missing fonts reactivated.

The system is running well again, with slightly fewer fonts (ones I do not need). As I suspected, a couple of small screen shots or directions might have been enough -- but this worked.

It seems that the more I learn the more dangerous (to the system) I become!

Thanks for looking at the problem.

Return to “Software & Applications”