Need fan speed software

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Need fan speed software

Postby Wesdog on Fri May 02, 2008 6:31 am

Hey guys. Im new to linuxmint (linux really) and Ive installed darnya on my pc dual booting with xp. I have a problem. My fans are barely turning. I use speedfan in xp to bring the fan speed up but I cant find anything in linux that does the same thing. I logged into linuxmint last night and after 45 minutes of just browsing the web I logged back to windows xp. It showed my temps as being 127F and 148F. This is too hot. The fans are barely spinning at all. I have to get some software to up the fan speed or I wont be able to use linux. I dont want to burn up my cpu. I looked and searched and could not find anything that would control the fan speed software wise. My pc is a compaq presario 6450nx if that helps any.

If there is anything to help me please let me know. I cant use linuxmint until I find a way to make my fans go faster.
Wesdog
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Need fan speed software

Postby Wesdog on Fri May 02, 2008 8:32 am

Anyone? There has to be some software to control fan speed out there.
Wesdog
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lakehousetech on Fri May 02, 2008 10:03 am

Have you tried setting fan speed from within your BIOS? That would be the best place to start. Usually most modern BIOS will have power management and temperature control options so you can keep those vitals under 50c. I'll do a search as well to find monitoring and control software, but I have to tell you I have never come across anything of the sort. Good luck.

Oh, you might want to do a search on Sourceforge. There are many projects there, and you never know what you can find.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Wesdog on Fri May 02, 2008 11:18 am

I checked in my bios and couldnt find anything for fan speeds. I dont know what to do other than buy a manual fan controller that I can mount on the pc case and adjust the fan speed that way. 150f is too hot for my cpu to be running. Ill look on sourceforge and see if I can find anything there. I may have to do things the hard way and go with the manual adjustment hardware.
Wesdog
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Wesdog on Fri May 02, 2008 11:29 am

I found this http://sourceforge.net/projects/mutelinux/

I dont know much about installing software in linux so Ill try to get it all figured out later. If I have problems I may come ask around here about how to install it. I am teh noobz. Thanks for reminding me about sourceforge there is always some good stuff running around there.
Wesdog
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lakehousetech on Fri May 02, 2008 8:44 pm

That program is a pre-alpha so I would avoid if I were you. Might not be the most stable thing to be playing with your hardware. I've been looking around a little. There are some articles on running scripts with the lmsensors program (available in synaptic package manager) in Ubuntu which should work in Mint as well. I have never had any issues with slow fans, so I have no experience using this application. It might be a bit difficult if you are new to Linux. Have you thought about buying fans that run at a higher RPM?
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Wesdog on Wed May 07, 2008 3:46 pm

Im not wanting to spend much money on this old pc. The cheapest way would probably be a fan controller that I can manually set the fan speed with. Im also trying to find a way to monitor the temps in linux. I installed some programs that said they would monitor and display the temps but they just show up an empty window.

I suppose I could just get a big super giant case fan and have it cool everything down. Will probably sound like an airplane taking off but it will be cool inside.
Wesdog
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenought on Wed May 07, 2008 5:17 pm

Wesdog,

Your idea about a standard case fan is actually a good one. Arctic Cooling makes some really quiet ones that are not expensive. There are plenty you can get for under $10 (US). Those are the only case fans I use in my own builds. I usually pick them up from Newegg. Not sure where you are in the world or where you can shop, though.

A fan controller is also a decent investment. You can always move it to another machine in the future. I know this does not address the original issue of slow-turning fans, but it is an inexpensive workaround/enhancement.

On the Dell hardware I run (Dimension B110), I can actually hear the exhaust fan gradually spin up - especially during heavy flash/Java use or the MintUpdate I performed this morning. Eventually, it will gradually spin back down. This tells me that the Dell and Mint combo does indeed control the fan speed and cool down what is necessary. Sadly, GKrellM does not display the temps on any of the Dell hardware I have used, or I could give you some specifics.

None of my machines dual-boot or have any Windows software installed. They only run one OS. The ones running Mint have no problems with fan speed, so I am thinking it must be something not functioning as good as you need it with your motherboard/BIOS. Good luck, and please keep us updated as to how you get everything worked out.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications