MP3 Streaming Audio Encoder

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rec9140

MP3 Streaming Audio Encoder

Post by rec9140 »

I am looking for something that can take the place of WME to stream a live feed.

I am NOT interested in shout[ice]cast.

As horrid as it may be WME has a simple pull streaming server that works for low volume streams.

Does any of the encoders for Linux offer this option?

Example:

I plug audio source into sound card, set server up to stream a MP3 format stereo 56kbps compatible stream.

Users then go to a URL I provide which "pulls" the stream from the encoder, no other software or servers to feed to then feed to users.

Max users is 5 to possibly 15-20 tops.

Need it to be as widely compatible with Linux and winslop players as possible for the end users to hit URL and media player starts stream.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rec9140

Re: MP3 Streaming Audio Encoder

Post by rec9140 »

Ede wrote:VLC can do that. Not sure about limiting users though, probably some settings using the terminal. But everything else should with vlc.
Hmmm... I Guess I thought VLC was just a player not an encoder/server.... will have to look at that.
Ede wrote: Why stream in mp3 at all? Use rather .ogg, which is MUCH better. You get better sound with the same bit-rate.
[/quote]
Because 99% of the audience has no idea what ogg is, or a player which will play it out of the box. Would love to use ogg, but since the target audience is going to be non linux users there is no use in making my stream even more incompatible.

Return to “Software & Applications”