Troubles with Linuxmint

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Troubles with Linuxmint

Postby Fred on Mon May 12, 2008 1:31 am

MagnusB,

In your case that may be true. But are you sure? :-)

I wish I could tell you how many times I have heard that from somebody that wanted me to do something to their computer, upgrade or whatever, and found multiple vermin running around inside it. That is especially true of Windows installs that are owned by a bot net or are being used for some other reason that the infection wishes to remain silent. Anti-virus runs just fine, is updated, and is as happy as a dead pig in the sunshine. :-)

You hook it to the internet and hang a packet sniffer on it and you find all kinds of strange and unusual activity taking place.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby MagnusB on Mon May 12, 2008 5:56 am

Yes, I am pretty sure, mostly because I clean out my Windows computer every six months, though on this I am not so sure. It is getting slower, but network hasn't slowed down, and I can't clean it out because I need the data and software installed on it, so a cleaning just takes too long, even with my slipstreamed XP cd...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Husse on Mon May 12, 2008 7:03 am

I never had an infection in XP - but
I used antivirus updated at least daily
Antimalware - first on demand scan later running in the background and updated daily
checked for root kits at least once a week (this is a bit more demanding for the computer)
Used Firefox and Thunderbird since they were in version 0.3 or so
Used the nocscript add on in FF (still do)
Never opened an attachment in Tbird - always put it on the desktop and then opened it (caught a couple of buggers this way)
Changed a lot of XPs default settings to "paranoid" ones
and... and... and....
In Linux - nada
I'm behind my routers firewall (stealth) so....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Fred on Mon May 12, 2008 11:40 am

I guess my point was that running an anti-virus and a firewall will not protect you from bad user habits. It helps, but it isn't the be all, end all, some users seem to think. Like it has been said before, "security is a process, not a shrink wrapped package or simple download away."

Like my daddy use to say, "anything one man can do, another can undo." :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Previous

Return to Software & Applications