Troubles with Linuxmint

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Troubles with Linuxmint

Post by Husse »

Please be a bit more specific
Did you install build essentials?
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =90&t=9234
There is a minor problem with mintUpdate that gives the result you describe. However I have to ask Clem for the solution - I can't find it but I think I've seen it
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Open mintUpdate and press refresh, that usually does the trick.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
miket

Post by miket »

I find the GUI based updater to be very unreliable ... the best way is to do the updates via the commandline,

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Mike.
MagnusB wrote:Open mintUpdate and press refresh, that usually does the trick.
Husse

Post by Husse »

AvanceIT wrote:I find the GUI based updater to be very unreliable ... the best way is to do the updates via the commandline,

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Mike.
NO NO
Basically you are right AvanceIT but mintUpdate categorizes the updates so you won't do the dangerous updates that can break your system
miket

Post by miket »

Husse wrote:
AvanceIT wrote:I find the GUI based updater to be very unreliable ... the best way is to do the updates via the commandline,

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Mike.
NO NO
Basically you are right AvanceIT but mintUpdate categorizes the updates so you won't do the dangerous updates that can break your system
But surely it will only update what you have already got installed, it shouldn't introduce anything new ?
I've always done my updates in this fashion without any problems at all ...

This begs the question, why are "Dangerous Updates" even being released ?? ;)

Mike.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry Mike - you have not followed the debate about this early last autumn - I should have been more clear
Dangerous updates are things like an update to the kernel - the kernel already exists :)
But an update could break your video or worse your wifi, so they are classified as dangerous (manually so far) and hidden with the default settings of mintUpdate
This and to avoid an upgrade to the next Ubuntu by mistake (Pushing the button in the Ubuntu update manager) were the main reasons for mintUpdate
miket

Post by miket »

Hi Husse !
Husse wrote:Sorry Mike - you have not followed the debate about this early last autumn - I should have been more clear
Dangerous updates are things like an update to the kernel - the kernel already exists :)
But an update could break your video or worse your wifi, so they are classified as dangerous (manually so far) and hidden with the default settings of mintUpdate
This and to avoid an upgrade to the next Ubuntu by mistake (Pushing the button in the Ubuntu update manager) were the main reasons for mintUpdate
Ok, so this is something the Mint team have added, ok makes sense ....

Thanks !

Mike.
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

Oohlalatte wrote:I'm a total n00b... I need some help. I'm trying to install applications with the Terminal...
Depends on what the programs you are trying to install are, but as a general point you should always look for the .deb packages if you have problems with the source code.

But it would help if you gave more details on what programs you are trying to install, and whether or not compiling from source code is an essential for you. As you're a “total n00b” as you put it, you're probably better off looking for the .deb package, or using the Mint Software Portal.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

@Ookami - Who's the dude with the green mohawk? I Wish I had one.
Husse

Post by Husse »

aptitude upgrade
But hopefully not dist-upgrade?
You get fewer, not more, updates with mintUpdate as it puts the potentially (very) dangerous kernel updates (and the like) in category 4 or 5 which are hidden by default. This is to protect you from screwing up your system - video and/or wifi and/or you name it may stop working - stability before the very latest
Husse

Post by Husse »

2.6.22-14-generic Correct
Yes - the beauty of mintUpdate is that you can avoid some of the (ugly) problems and update of the kernel can bring
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

It more or less comes down to what you want: Stability (not updating your drivers each time a kernel update come in) or safety (as most kernel updates are security updates). That being said, I have never encountered the need for updating my drivers on any Ubuntu kernel update, though that may not apply to all, though..
EDIT!
Forgot to mention, rather use aptitude safe-upgrade than apt-get/aptitude upgrade as safe-upgrade holds back packages that have dependencies with newer version than available or unmet dependencies.
--Dean Martin
Husse

Post by Husse »

That being said, I have never encountered the need for updating my drivers on any Ubuntu kernel update
Lucky you :)
One update in Bianca broke my graphics - and then I had not - or just? - started as a Mint support person, so I was completely taken by surprise when it was all black
Also several reports of destroyed wifi - but it as a balance...
Some time ago we moved up an update to category 3 just because it dealt with a potential severe security risk
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

It could be a bigger issue in Mint, as Mint is forked from Ubuntu, and maybe using "Envy drivers" rather than "Restricted drivers" could also be a factor. Still, it is easy enough to change to vesa and download the drivers again, especially for me, as I expect my system to break at a regular interval (really shouldn't be playing so much around with it, but it is not my "production computer", so... :) ).
--Dean Martin
Husse

Post by Husse »

I agree with you MagnusB - but for a noob
Mind you I was a computer geek when I joined Mint, but not on Linux and I just did not know what the f-ck to do
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I just spent my time learning, shouldn't really expect everyone to do the same, but still, I am really surprised to see people have no interest in how things work, just that it work... My estimate is that about 30 - 40% of Windows users run a stock system infected badly with viruses and buy a new computer because it is slow, which I find intriguing, as I haven't been infected for the last 4 years running Windows..
--Dean Martin
Fred

Post by Fred »

MagnusB,

In your case that may be true. But are you sure? :-)

I wish I could tell you how many times I have heard that from somebody that wanted me to do something to their computer, upgrade or whatever, and found multiple vermin running around inside it. That is especially true of Windows installs that are owned by a bot net or are being used for some other reason that the infection wishes to remain silent. Anti-virus runs just fine, is updated, and is as happy as a dead pig in the sunshine. :-)

You hook it to the internet and hang a packet sniffer on it and you find all kinds of strange and unusual activity taking place.

Fred
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Yes, I am pretty sure, mostly because I clean out my Windows computer every six months, though on this I am not so sure. It is getting slower, but network hasn't slowed down, and I can't clean it out because I need the data and software installed on it, so a cleaning just takes too long, even with my slipstreamed XP cd...
--Dean Martin
Husse

Post by Husse »

I never had an infection in XP - but
I used antivirus updated at least daily
Antimalware - first on demand scan later running in the background and updated daily
checked for root kits at least once a week (this is a bit more demanding for the computer)
Used Firefox and Thunderbird since they were in version 0.3 or so
Used the nocscript add on in FF (still do)
Never opened an attachment in Tbird - always put it on the desktop and then opened it (caught a couple of buggers this way)
Changed a lot of XPs default settings to "paranoid" ones
and... and... and....
In Linux - nada
I'm behind my routers firewall (stealth) so....
Fred

Post by Fred »

I guess my point was that running an anti-virus and a firewall will not protect you from bad user habits. It helps, but it isn't the be all, end all, some users seem to think. Like it has been said before, "security is a process, not a shrink wrapped package or simple download away."

Like my daddy use to say, "anything one man can do, another can undo." :-)

Fred

Return to “Software & Applications”