Just upgraded to Mint 14 Mate.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chucklebutte

Just upgraded to Mint 14 Mate.

Post by chucklebutte »

Just did a fresh install of 14 from 11 and so far ran in to a few issues. First my network shares on my Windows server are accessible but once accessed and file transfers initiated and few hundred megs are transfered the file transfers stop. Another issue is passwords are not saved for network shares, even when choosing remember forever. Lastly I can not install any Nvidia drivers, either through additional drivers nor package manager.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Just upgraded to Mint 14 Mate.

Post by caf4926 »

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
FYI:
Additional drivers
To install additional drivers, please run the "Software Sources" tool from "Menu->Preferences->Software Sources" and click on the "Additional Drivers" tab. The tool used in previous versions of Linux Mint (Jockey) was discontinued upstream in Ubuntu.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
chucklebutte

Post by chucklebutte »

Both I have done for the video card drivers, both fail, sudo apt-get install nvidia-current says I am missing dependicies and additional drivers just hangs when I choose any option other than nouveau drivers.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Have you been able to fully update the system?

(Sorry but I have to work for a bit, back later) Hope things work out, just be patient....
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
chucklebutte

Post by chucklebutte »

Thank you video driver issue solved! Now for network and password issues....
chucklebutte

Post by chucklebutte »

found and followed this tutorial http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/848 no help.
Keyring refuses to remember passwords!
Network shares still time out after a few hundred megs are transfered!

And now Mint 14 is doing what Mint 11 would do, everytime I log in to the desktop it becomes stupid and does this
Screenshot.png
changes icon color, size, makes everything pixelated and blocky like I'm running KDE 1.0 or Win 3.11 what gives?

What happened to Mint? 6-9 rock solid, 10 on has been nothing but headaches and wastes of time. Seriously what happened? Maybe its time I look for a new distro, especially the way I am being ignored in IRC. This was a great OS with a great community, the community is the main reason I would recommend this distro to others. Now I think I should reconsider that.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

chucklebutte wrote:Just did a fresh install of 14 from 11
keeping the same HOME?
create a new user and see if those issues persist or go away.
chucklebutte

Post by chucklebutte »

I copied only 5 folders from my /home on Mint 11. Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, and .mozilla. It really doesn't matter what I try to transfer from my server to my Mint box. It can be a folder full of .doc files and it will start to copy the files and time out after an undetermined amount of data, usually around a couple hundred megs.

I'm stuck and being on IRC is only making me more frustrated.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

chucklebutte wrote:I copied only 5 folders from my /home on Mint 11. Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, and .mozilla. It really doesn't matter what I try to transfer from my server to my Mint box. It can be a folder full of .doc files and it will start to copy the files and time out after an undetermined amount of data, usually around a couple hundred megs.

I'm stuck and being on IRC is only making me more frustrated.
I think the IRC folk can be a little less polite, less patient. I don't mean that in a nasty way, I think it's a bit of a learning curve. But it can be useful if you get stuck.

I only use ssh between all Linux machines and have no issues, sorry I can't help with Windows....
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
chucklebutte

Post by chucklebutte »

Wiped drive installed Cinnamon. Can not even see the server, or any devices on the network, browses and shows an empty folder "Windows Network". Wont even see wifi printer... But I can surf the web?
chucklebutte

Post by chucklebutte »

Got shares added and can view them. Was able to bookmark mounted shares so they are accesible when I log in. File transfers still hang. 546MB out of 61GB transfered.... Just hanging there saying its coming in at 7MB/sec but as you can see from system monitor there is no network activity.
pic1.png
chucklebutte

Post by chucklebutte »

Go ahead and mark this solved. I reinstalled a different OS and will no longer be using Mint. This huge issue just seems to be considered not so huge by the Mint community. Thank you for the last 4 years. Mint has been a joy to use, up until now.

Return to “Software & Applications”