How do I install sublime text 2 text editor?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pottsy2

How do I install sublime text 2 text editor?

Post by Pottsy2 »

hi I've downloaded the sublime text 2 text editor unfortunately within the tarball there is no read me or install file what do I do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How do I install sublime text 2 text editor?

Post by xenopeek »

Post split from http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=97158 and moved here. New problems deserve new topics :wink:

I think you can just run the program from the extracted tarball. A member on our Community site has put together an extensive manual on how to install this program to your system in such a way that it is also added to your menu and such. See here: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/907. If you are on Linux Mint MATE, note that you should replace the "gksu gedit" part of commands with "gksu pluma". If you are on Linux Mint KDE, that would instead be "kdesu kate".
Pottsy2

Post by Pottsy2 »

Thank you very much Xeno :)

I apologise for wasting your time
Pottsy2

Post by Pottsy2 »

I'm working my way through the tutorial, I'm struggling with this part

Code: Select all

sudo mv Sublime\ Text\ 2 sublime

sudo mv sublime /opt/
This is where I run into problems, it appears the tutorial is attempting to move a file here (as super user) but I cannot see a destination folder for where we wish move the file
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Well, I think it is renaming first the directory "Sublime Text 2" to sublime. Then that directory sublime is moved to /opt. /opt is in the root of your filesystem.
Pottsy2

Post by Pottsy2 »

brilliant - got it working :)

I had to spend a day or two getting off the ground with Terminal, thank you XEno for your help & good humour
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Excellent :D
3xOSC

Post by 3xOSC »

Oh and a shameless self-plug:

here's the settings you might want to look at if you want to set a default-syntax so you don't have to pick a new one everytime you open it.

: )

(I don't gain anything from advertising my write up, just thought it may be helpful)
leviticus8908

Post by leviticus8908 »

I am also trying to install Sublime Text 2 and I get the following error after the 'sudo mv sublime /opt/' command:

Code: Select all

levi@levi-Inspiron-1525 ~/Downloads $ sudo mv sublime /opt/
mv: cannot move `sublime' to `/opt/sublime': Directory not empty
I'm not sure what this means or how to deal with it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am running Maya MATE 64-bit.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

It means there is already something in /opt/sublime, so moving sublime to /opt would overwrite that. Check what files are already in /opt/sublime?

Return to “Software & Applications”