Compiz Messed Up Open Office...What Now?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Compiz Messed Up Open Office...What Now?

Postby Suu999 on Tue May 06, 2008 5:59 pm

First off and foremost, my specs: I own a Gateway MT3422. An MT model that has an AMD64X, is Vista-capable, has an NVidia card, and Linux Mint 4.0 using GNOME.

So...I was just messing around with Compiz today and finally got it to working. Now I have a pretty desktop! But no OpenOffice. When I noticed I was having further problems with Writer, like, the Format option wasn't working, nor was anything else off the menus. I had to do a Force Quit on Writer because selecting those options locked it up. Then I tried to install AbiWord. It installed, its executable file is in BIN, but when I tried to run it, it said something about being unable to find a "child directory" or something, so it couldn't run it from shortcut.

So I have no office suite now. What should I do? Can I reinstall them, or should I get rid of Compiz? I have homework that needs done this week, and normal text editors just don't cut it. I am accepting any help to solve this problem.

Thanks in advace!!
Suu999
Suu999
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Compiz Messed Up Open Office...What Now?

Postby Suu999 on Tue May 06, 2008 6:47 pm

my bad, the link error came because I thought I had installed the AbiWord application when in fact I only installed its Common files. That problem is solved.
But I still need help with OpenOffice. Any tips are welcome!! :D
Suu999
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Compiz Messed Up Open Office...What Now?

Postby red-e-made on Tue May 06, 2008 9:22 pm

My default solution to application problems like that is to uninstall in Synaptic, reboot, then re-install it. It's quick and often works, but this thread suggests disabling your Compiz effects before you use OpenOffice. I've not had any problems using both myself.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Software & Applications