devilspie and devilspie2 both don't work

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

devilspie and devilspie2 both don't work

Postby archtop on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:02 am

Devilspie is a great little program that allows you to specify just where and what size windows for specified applications are when they open up. It worked perfectly for me on Mint 9 Xfce. However, on Mint 13 Xfce (on a Thinkpad X200s 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo), it works only very sporadically (maybe one out of 20 times).

I tried both devilspie and devilspie2; I know the scripts are working correctly for both, but in both cases it works only very occasionally. My script is a very simple window-positioning script (i.e. specifying that the window must open at pixel position 128,0).

At the moment I have devilspie2 installed and devilspie uninstalled. Whatever problem affected devilspie affects devilspie2 the same, however. It can be either set as a startup application or just started by me in the terminal -- either way it's hit or miss.

What is going on?
archtop
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: devilspie and devilspie2 both don't work

Postby archtop on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:06 pm

Hmm . . . so anyway, I'm about to give up on devilspie . . .
archtop
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rousara on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:37 am

Same problem here. Running XFCE 15 and want to run kmousetool minimized at start up.

Any suggestions.
rousara
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hogfan on Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:39 am

I don't know why this issue is not a priority. This is something that Cinnamon should handle by default. You should be able to set your global window startup position like you can in every other Window manager. In understand Cinnamon is using Mutter, but something that is the default window manager in the latest Gnome version should support this feature Out-of-the-box. I've never tried devilspie since you can set it globally for all windows, but rather have to configure it for each individual application.

-hogfan
hogfan
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Software & Applications