mintUpdate and Synaptic problems.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

mintUpdate and Synaptic problems.

Postby tbuck153 on Thu May 08, 2008 3:38 pm

I just reinstalled mint because i was also installing xp and felt like my partitions should be cleaned up a bit..

The installation went smooth and everything is working fine including my internet connection. (firefox, thunderbird, pidgin, ect...)

When i try to update my system or use synaptic to download packages the download rate gets stuck at unknown or i get an error after waiting.

W: Failed to fetch (package adresss here)

If i copy that adress into firefox ican download the package but it seems to take a while to connect and gives me slow download times (20-30 kbps instead of at least 100 kbps)

At first i could use mint update to update but that even went at the slow download speed and after a few packages it would stop downloading all together. I waited a day just in case the servers were overloaded or down but i got the same effect. Starts at first and then stops after a while.

I have been googling this problem for a while and have seen various solutions but none that have worked. One told me to try a different DNS server from opendns.net andthat didn't work.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=744254
This one told me to change to software sources but i can't find where to do that in mint.

Any help with this problem would be great. I really need to get my programs back as quickly as possible and synaptic is the easiest way.

EDIT: after downloading a couple things with synaptic going at a reasonable speed just now it leaves me believing that the server is going down. Any confirmation?
tbuck153
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: mintUpdate and Synaptic problems.

Postby Husse on Thu May 08, 2008 5:42 pm

Because of this post I started mintUpdate and I can confirm varying speed and nothing near the approx 6700 kbps I get at best
This may be the problem - and don't forget that much - but not all - comes from the Ubuntu repos and the Ubuntu servers should have a lot to do now :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby tbuck153 on Thu May 08, 2008 5:53 pm

the repos are definitely the problem then. I have been able to download certain things, but not others now, although there is still a long pause before the package download will start. Hopefully this gets worked out soon.
tbuck153
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Thu May 08, 2008 6:18 pm

And if you're not in northern Europe your internet quality now may be worse than mine
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby tbuck153 on Thu May 08, 2008 9:31 pm

northeastern U.S. (Maine) Still going around 50 kbps. Every now and then i get 100 kbps and i've seen this connection get download speeds of 900 kbps. It isn't horrible, i'm just happy i could get my programs installed again. For the most part it seems like it's working... i'll have to wait to see how the updates go tomorrow.
tbuck153
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri May 09, 2008 6:45 am

Well I got between 900 bytes/s and 120 kb/s so it's not fast at the moment
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby MagnusB on Fri May 09, 2008 7:50 am

With Hardy released I would guess the strain on Ubuntu's servers are at a high, should calm down after about a month.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications