How do I restore kmail2 mail/settings after system upgrade?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

How do I restore kmail2 mail/settings after system upgrade?

Postby Sultan_of_Swing on Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:52 pm

Hi

I've just upgraded my 64-bit edition Linux Mint 12 KDE (using KDE 4.8 ) to Linux Mint 14 KDE (KDE 4.9), and as suggested by the Mint Team, backed up my entire /home drive as recommended, using the Backup Tool. Did a fresh Installation of Mint 14 KDE, which went fine, and then restored my old /home partition. When I came to open Kmail2, my old mail and settings were not displayed. I have searched the forums and Google, and every post relating Kmail2 and KDE, but cannot work out what isn't working, and how to fix it. I suspect Akonadi is the chief problem, but don't know enough about how it works to fix the problem.

This is not the a problem with migrating from Kmail1 to Kmail2, as I did this (quite smoothly) a year ago. My problem is that emails from Kmail2 (4.8?) are not recognised in Kmail2 (4.9). I can't seem to import them either as there isn't an option. Since the Mint Team recommend a fresh installation using backup and restore, I presume I must have made a mistake somewhere, but cannot work out what. Not too bothered about restoring settings - these won't take too long to manually imput - but do want my old emails back.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thank you.
Sultan_of_Swing
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications