highly recommended emulator.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

highly recommended emulator.

Postby Helmeci on Sun May 11, 2008 11:10 am

If you are like me then you grew up playing Nes Snes and Nintendo 64. well i found a couple emulators that are just awesome. brings back old memories and puts a huge smile on my face. :D the nes one is Fakenes. of course download it from the software portal. if you need roms just pm me with ur email address and ill send u wat i got. like 213 of them. lol. for super nintendo i hear Snes is the best. havnt actually used it but read alot about it. but my favorite of all is Project64. it is a nintendo 64 emulator and it is incredible. everything looks and feels exactly like the nintendo 64. you can configure your keyboard how you want to go with the corresponding buttons off of the old 64 controller. almost every game that was out on the system is available to download online. the emulator itself has its own thing for cheats built in. depending on what game you are playing you can activate all kinds of cheats. you can save the game just like you would if you were playing the game on the 64 or you can just hit F5 and save it exactly where you are and just hit F7 to resume where you were the next time you load up that game. best thing of all is that this emulator is capable of true fullscreen. highly recommend it for anyone who likes to bring back the past and play some old games. to run it on linux though make sure you have Wine (Windows emulator if you didnt know) because it is actually a windows.exe file but it runs fine on linux. if you need the exe file to download it you can find it online or pm me with your email and ill send it plus some games if you want them. just wanted to let yall know about the coolest thing ive found online in years, well...other than Mint. :D
-Dean-
Helmeci
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: highly recommended emulator.

Postby Tithis on Sun May 11, 2008 11:38 am

Right now I think the best SNES emulator for Linux is SNES9x-GTK. SNES9x already has a gnome front end but besides from being ugly its difficult to use. All it really does is change settings and launch the game. SNES9x GTK is closer to the windows version in that the gui wraps around the display window. I prefer this because it consolidates everything and I can change settings while the game is running.

You can see the original post and how to build it from source here
http://www.snes9x.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=22874

and you can grab a .deb here
http://ppa.launchpad.net/bearoso/ubuntu ... 2_i386.deb
Tithis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ede on Sun May 11, 2008 12:31 pm

I'm ever so faithful to Zsnes. Regardless of OS. It's got so much better featrues than other emulators.
Ede
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Tithis on Sun May 11, 2008 10:51 pm

I used to be too but I was forced to switch. I have my Windows PC hooked up the my television and I run Maximus Arcade on it, which is a front end for multiple emulators. It presents a big list of the games with video's and screen shots, which along with my PS2 controllers makes for some good retro gaming :lol: . I used to the use Zsnes with it but it wouldn't save when it exited to the front-end. Snes9x didn't like to save when exiting either but I could make it save every 5 seconds which works fine.

So when I went to Linux I just naturally gravitated to Snes9x. I really wish my computer could run Bsnes and that it could do full screen.
Tithis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Jimjim32 on Wed May 21, 2008 2:59 pm

WINE isn't an emulator. It's a translator. that's what the acronym is. WINE - Wine Is Not an Emulator. It a recursive one if you think about it.
From Unix, The World!
Jimjim32
Level 1
Level 1

Postby infamous on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:27 pm

I still can't get either snes9x-gtk or znes working right on Elyssa main. Snes9x wont recognize any of my joysticks and the sound only works sometimes for me and when it does work its all messed up. Zsnes recognized my ps2 controller but I cant get sound to work at all. If someone knows how to solve these issues that many people seem to be having they should post them somewhere on the forums.
infamous
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Software & Applications