Nemo doesn't do the job: it hangs

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Nemo doesn't do the job: it hangs

Postby Bao2 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:23 pm

I have a 12 minute movie that I converted to jpgs. So I have in a folder 17620 jpgs of 1920x800 pixels each.

I wanted to move them to another folder so I selected a few of them in Nemo and it just hangs: a popup window appears saying it is going to move the files but it hangs. You end killing nemo and look if he moved or not the files. Yes, it moved the files, only it hanged in the process (I was looking to the cpu use and kill nemo when the cpu use was again near 0%).

I tried then with around 400 files only. All my tries Nemo hanged.

I deactivated the preview of images and also the counting of files in folders, my guess was it was doing the previews or counting. But no way. it continues to hang when heavy number of files to copy or move is the job.

So I was to Software Manager, searched for "file managers" and the best rated was "gnome-commander". I downloaded it and it remembered me of first years using Linux, probably it was this program. Ugly interface but... holy sh*t, does the work! I moved my 17 thousand files without any problem.

So: Nemo has a serious problem with heavy jobs. :?
Bao2
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Nemo doesn't do the job: it hangs

Postby Bao2 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:29 pm

To try yourself, create some thousand jpgs from some movie with this order:

ffmpeg -i foomovie.avi -vframes 17000 -f image2 images-%06d.jpeg

where:
-i foomovie.avi is the movie you want to convert to jpgs
-vframes 17000 to process only the first 17000 frames
-f image2 don't change this. It indicates you want to create images
images-%06d.jpeg the name the images will have, numbered with 0 padding to the left

Then try to move the frames created with nemo and you will go crazy!
Bao2
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Nemo doesn't do the job: it hangs

Postby mashen on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:20 pm

Wow. Sorry man, that sucks.
Bao2 wrote:I deactivated the preview of images and also the counting of files in folders, my guess was it was doing the previews or counting. But no way. it continues to hang when heavy number of files to copy or move is the job.

Exactly what I was going to suggest, we were thinking alike. Did you try also changing the view from icons to list or compact?

Bao2 wrote:So: Nemo has a serious problem with heavy jobs. :?

Yeah, apparently. Not suprising, it's got a lot of eye candy and it's pretty recent, even though it's a fork of Nautilus.
You could also get used to doing it through console commands?
mashen
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications