Is adding network printers in troublesome state?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dragon-dragon_dragon

Is adding network printers in troublesome state?

Post by dragon-dragon_dragon »

I should start this post out saying, my system has been... less than perfectly stable, possibly due to some software package choices (thats why I'm posting here and not suggestions, I may very well be the only one experiencing this behavior). But a comment on youtube indicates there's at least one more person out there, so I figured I couldn't just ignore it after fixing up my own setup.

So:

To add a printer to my fresh linux mint, I first typed "printer" in the start menu and opened up the cinnamon printer dialog. I tried to connect to my networked printer, but I was unable to. I did see this message in the textarea, but didn't really know what to make of it, and feel that if adding a printer requires extra packages, maybe they should be installed default, OR they should be installable by clicking a link which would spawn a .deb installer like interface.
FirewallD is not running. Network printer detection needs services mdns, ipp, ipp-client and samba-client enabled on firewall.
Regardless of what ever that meant, I ginored it.

After reading the message, went through my Linux Mint notes and found a link to a youtube vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfS_-X8l5Fg) which mentioned the below command.

Code: Select all

$  system-config-printer
I was able to add my networked printer on a windows machine by following along with the wizard accessible off of a button push.

So I recommend a solution to this problem (assuming others encounter this behavior too) such as a link to system-config-printer be placed within the cinnamon "printers" dialog menu, or something be done to fix that menu in the first place because it couldn't find any printers for me after I typed in the IP to the windows comp sharing the printer. Right now it seems that adding networked printers isn't quite possible with out the user googling for the command system-config-printer, and it should be simple enough not to need to reference other materials.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Is adding network printers in troublesome state?

Post by altair4 »

This has been going on for a while: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=95173

FirewallD is a RetHat daemon that doesn't even exist in Debian / Ubuntu / Mint.
THe current printer configuration utility is Gnome3
THe one you used and the only one that is functional comes from Gnome2.

Should the old one be the default in Mint? - Yes.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Software & Applications”