Can't burn with any software

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MockY

Can't burn with any software

Post by MockY »

I have tried to burn data cd (just a simple avi file) with Nautilus and GnomeBaker but it always fail. I have always been able to do this with any other distro (mainly Ubuntu releases) but not in Mint. This file has been burned before with success, in fact I had to transfer it over to my wifes computer that is running Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon in order to burn it. Is this a common issue with Mint or am I the only one experiencing this? And how do I go about to troubleshoot and fix it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Can't burn with any software

Post by Husse »

Anything can happen, but this is not a common problem only seen it once or twice before
Try to install Brasero or k3b - I know it's not a solution, but I guess it'll work
If not there's a more serious error
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Something certainly seems wrong. I doubt it's your burning software itself. I'll second the fact that Mint in general does not have burning issues. My experience is that any issue I've ever had in Mint I've also had in Ubuntu. For example K3B in a Gnome Environment (not KDE) gives me issues if I want to use burn proof. After a successful burn the disk ejects like it's supposed to, but the drive does not pull it back in, and the verification fails. The burn itself works, but the verification doesn't happen unless it was an .iso file I was burning, and for some reason those burns will. I've had this issue in both Ubuntu and Mint with K3B. So my experience leads me to believe that their is no difference between Mint and Ubuntu when it comes to burning.
MockY

Post by MockY »

I have installed both Brasero and GnomeBaker and nothing works. This is a typical behavior if it is hardware related, but it works just fine in Ubuntu. I assume that some package that I installed made something else very unstable (something that is fairly common in Linux unfortunately). However, I have no idea what it could be, but it might be related to the fact that I installed Pidgin from source, or Google Earth. Everything else is installed from the repository.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

I'm not a fan of installing anything from source. Even if the install goes well there is always the issue of how to uninstall it later. I can only assume you wanted a newer version of Pidgin then what comes pre-installed, and a newer version of Google Earth than what is in the repository. Usually when I want a newer version of something I can find a third party repository that has it, or even simply a .deb package. It's much safer that way. As to whether or not compiling from source screwed up something on your box is anyone's guess, but then again all the more reason not to do it unless absolutely necessary. Best of luck in fixing the problem. Have you checked into it possibly being a permissions error?

Return to “Software & Applications”