E-Book Reader Application (Scalable)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

E-Book Reader Application (Scalable)

Postby wmeler on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:46 pm

I currently have a laptop with both Mint 14 / Cinnamon and Windows.
I do not have an e-book reader device (tablet, handheld, etc.), and frankly I can't afford to buy an e-reader now, but I believe in a few years I will likely purchase one, because the nature of my work requires me to be very mobile.

I'm looking for an e-book reader application (or more than one) that I can run on Mint 14 with Cinnamon (or some other version of Linux or even Windows) on this laptop that meets the following requirements (or as many as possible):

1) I need to be able to take notes/annotations in/on the text. Preferably, it would be nice to be able to turn these annotations on/off on a whim. [ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY]
2) I know nothing of the best book/text formats, so some tips here would be helpful, including which formats are easy to buy, annotate, copy, etc. [FORMAT TIPS REQUESTED...e.g. PDF vs. ... ]
3) I need the text and annotations to be able to be resized in the future if/when I can actually buy an e-reader with different screen resolution, etc. That is, I want my texts and annotations to be usable in the future on future e-readers. I don't want to lose all the annotations I make now in the future. [ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY]
4) If I had a "library" of various books/texts, I would like to be able to search my entire library for keywords both in the text itself and in my annotations. [NICE TO HAVE]

I hope my main point is coming across. I want to be able to annotate what I read now and still use it in the future on different devices. For lack of a better word (and if there is one, please let me know), I'm talking about scalability.

Hope you're all doing well and thanks in advance for the help!
wmeler
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications