PlayOnLinux

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
soldier1st

PlayOnLinux

Post by soldier1st »

I searched the forums for this specific question/answer, but couldn't find the question/answer. Is it safe to update PlayOnLinux by going to thier website and adding thier repository to the repository list? i would prefer to stick to the included repositories as much as possible as has been stated. I look forward to your thoughts on this question.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: PlayOnLinux

Post by xenopeek »

Safer in what way?

If you install PlayOnLinux from the Linux Mint repository (which for this package is actually the Ubuntu repository), any emerging security threats will be managed by the Ubuntu security team. If you install it from some other repository, you will depend on the maintainers of that repository to handle security threats. For which they may not have the same experience as the Ubuntu security team.

Installing PlayOnLinux from the Linux Mint repository will ensure the program is compatible with other programs from this repository, such as Wine and other dependencies for PlayOnLinux. Installing PlayOnLinux from some other repository, you will depend on the maintainers of that repository to not break the package by including dependencies that can't be satisfied on your version of Linux Mint.

Are either of these big issues for a Wine front-end? Probably not, but that is the difference.
soldier1st

Re: PlayOnLinux

Post by soldier1st »

xenopeek wrote:Safer in what way?

If you install PlayOnLinux from the Linux Mint repository (which for this package is actually the Ubuntu repository), any emerging security threats will be managed by the Ubuntu security team. If you install it from some other repository, you will depend on the maintainers of that repository to handle security threats. For which they may not have the same experience as the Ubuntu security team.

Installing PlayOnLinux from the Linux Mint repository will ensure the program is compatible with other programs from this repository, such as Wine and other dependencies for PlayOnLinux. Installing PlayOnLinux from some other repository, you will depend on the maintainers of that repository to not break the package by including dependencies that can't be satisfied on your version of Linux Mint.

Are either of these big issues for a Wine front-end? Probably not, but that is the difference.
When i ment safer, i ment stability wise. and thank you for your quick response. Very informative.

Return to “Software & Applications”