[SOLVED] DPMS freezes requiring hard reboot.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

[SOLVED] DPMS freezes requiring hard reboot.

Postby crazyphire on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:38 pm

SOLUTION:

In terminal:

1) cd /usr/bin/

2) sudo nano forcexset.sh

#!/bin/bash
xset -dpms
xset s off
xset s noblank
xset s 0 0

[SAVE FILE]

3) sudo chmod 700 /usr/bin/forcexset.sh

4) sudo /usr/bin/forcexset.sh

5) xset -q

Check if all is disable. It was for more. The only problem is I can't crontab this or use startup applications because xserver will start AFTER and thereby override the settings the script invokes.

Now I will wait 5 more days and see if any freezing will persist. If not, I will reply and tell you again to try my advice.

Be advised, you turn off DPMS with this command: xset -dpms UNLIKE WHAT YOU SEE IN THIS POST: http://askubuntu.com/questions/61291/ho ... 053#251053

INITIAL PROBLEM:

Just switched from Ubuntu 12.04 to Linux Mint 13 Maya following an issue I was having where the machine freezes completely after DPMS kicks in. No it does not respond to: mouse, keyboard, ssh. DPMS is set to enabled and I cannot seem to disable it either by forcing it every time using crontab or by forcing it in terminal. It always comes back on.

Screen saver is turned off, suspend is set to off, DPMS IS enabled (because I can't turn it off), and it happens every time I leave the machine idle and switch my TV input back to HDMI 1 where Linux Mint lives.

In the beginning I thought this was a driver issue but I don't think it is anymore. To summarize, what I would like to do is leave my monitor active at all times, while never ever being suspended, going blank, turning off, or screen saving. I use it as a server / media center and I can switch TV input rather than rely on a power management system.

Additionally, xset -q shows DPMS is set to 0 0 0 and is enabled. This is most frustrating, especially since I rely on the machine as my web/ftp/ssh server. Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thank you for your time, and Mint looks awesome.
Last edited by crazyphire on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mint 13 LTS - Cinnamon + AMD Phenom II x6 64-bit = Big Dawg 8 (Infinity) Home Server @ bd8.org
crazyphire
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications