Software Portal - Elyssa

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Software Portal - Elyssa

Postby lakehousetech on Tue May 13, 2008 11:11 pm

Hey all,
Very excited about the upcoming Elyssa release, and was snooping around the software portal. I'm impressed with the large number of applications available (228), but was wondering if the categories from Daryna such as 'Development' for example are going to be available? Can the Daryna software portal section be used with Elyssa? Hope this question isn't too stupid...it's been a long day! Thanks!
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Software Portal - Elyssa

Postby nick79 on Wed May 14, 2008 3:02 am

Hello, I've just installed Eclipse from Daryna software portal section and it works without any problems.
nick79
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dracorX on Wed May 14, 2008 10:35 am

While i like .mint portal, we gotta take care that it stays fairly current. Look at the CNR warehouse (it works now for mint, great, really good place) but some packages are just out of date (it is last time I checked).
dracorX
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Husse on Wed May 14, 2008 11:01 am

For apps for Daryna in Elyssa you have to read carefully to see if it is possible - sometimes - sometimes not
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby lakehousetech on Thu May 15, 2008 2:34 pm

Thanks all! I was able to install programs from the Daryna portal without any trouble. I'm really pleased with Elyssa Beta 032, and want you to know how much I appreciate you guys busting your asses to make this thing great! Cheers!
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Postby ed@Mint on Thu May 15, 2008 2:42 pm

Yes, there will be a programming section, just give us some time... :)

About the fact that some packages are rather old, all the applications being added at the moment are those present in the ubuntu repos.
We'll later be adding applications from external sources.

Enjoy and stay tuned.
Ed
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fred on Thu May 15, 2008 3:04 pm

Ed,

Pardon my misunderstanding, but if the apps are in the Ubuntu repos, what is the point of copying them over to the portal?

I thought the portal was for packages that weren't in the repos.

Thanks

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby ed@Mint on Thu May 15, 2008 3:26 pm

Well, the goal of the Software Portal and mintInstall is to provide a (very) easy way to install software (3 clicks required), i'm sure you know that.
There is also an important difference between the portal and synaptic which is : with synaptic, you install packages whereas with mintinstall, you install applications.
Add to this the large amount of packages displayed within synaptic and you can easily understan how a newcomer (and even a not-so-new-comer :P ) can be overwhelmed.

Thus, the portal is to include software both from the repos and external sources.
We'll try to make it as complete as possible.
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fred on Thu May 15, 2008 6:25 pm

Ed,

Thanks Ed, I am with you now.... I am just a little slow. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications