Flash lag issue

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mouf155

Flash lag issue

Post by mouf155 »

Flash version: 11.2.202.243

Hardware:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Te ... eId=321957 <- this is the laptop

For some reason flash lags, even on a livecd. This hardware is capable of running flash smoothly i'm pretty sure. Is this a common or known problem, or is it just my pc? Also I have installed the driver for my graphics card (current).

I also have a problem with virtualbox where ubuntu lags terribly running in virtualbox no matter what I do it seems. But if I run a virtualbox windows it runs perfectly smoothly.

Thanks,
Bill
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
meteorrock

Re: Flash lag issue

Post by meteorrock »

Check out my thread here, about halfway down. Linux mint uses the Open JDK ( an open java application) by default, and has some bugs and other issues that need to be worked out. I found using Oracles' Java to help solve this for youtube and other sites wanting java. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122822

While this is for the Opera browser, it can be implemented on any web browser, firefox included if you want by using that hack halfway down to purge yourself of Open JDK and install Oracles' java run time environment on your linux mint build. I found that workaround worked for me on getting rid of lags using the java flash.

I am using Vmware workstation 9.0 with linux mint also, using AMD 64 bit. Something about that Open JDK that does not run well under virtualization just makes it lag. Probably not optimized that way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

If you are getting lags on ubuntu under virtualization check your swap memory settings in your virtual box and UP the RAM to half of your availible RAM you got on your machine. Make sure it is set to 'allow memory swapping between the host OS and the guest OS.' That worked for me on defeating all of my lag issues when I got VMwares' hypervisor up and going. Updating your kernel base helped also, the new 3.7.6 kernels have kernels that help virtualization. You can update your kernel base at this link here I made in the forums for a guide. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=124819

Also make sure you got intel VT or AMD-v /RVI enabled in both your BIOS of your host OS and in your options for your hypervisor. That helps ALOT on lag issues. Your notebook specs though, I would rethink on using a hypervisor on it. The processor and the available RAM are just not up to specs. You should have at least a 4 core processor and 8 or more GB of RAM on your workstation or laptop to run a hypervisor efficiently. That 2 core processor you have , IDK if its got the specs to run a hypervisor on it.

You should look over a "bare metal" hypervisor for that laptop, like XEN to get rid of your lag issues. Harder to set up but you are not going through software bugs and lags like a software hypervisor like VMware or virtualbox.
Last edited by meteorrock on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
mouf155

Post by mouf155 »

meteorrock wrote:Check out my thread here, about halfway down. Linux mint uses the Open JDK ( an open java application) by default, and has some bugs and other issues that need to be worked out. I found using Oracles' Java to help solve this for youtube and other sites wanting java. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122822

While this is for the Opera browser, it can be implemented on any web browser, firefox included if you want by using that hack halfway down to purge yourself of Open JDK and install Oracles' java run time environment on your linux mint build. I found that workaround worked for me on getting rid of lags using the java flash.

I am using Vmware workstation 9.0 with linux mint also, using AMD 64 bit. Something about that Open JDK that does not run well under virtualization just makes it lag. Probably not optimized that way.
Thank you for the your reply.

I'm talking about adobe flash player, not java.
meteorrock

Post by meteorrock »

I see. Check above. My bad. Adobe flash or you can use java flash. I am out as I do not see a difference. Flash is flash. Take care. Developers do not like adobe because it is outdated on linux and they have a bad reputation with the open source community so good luck on getting help there. A flash player is a flash player.

What I do not understand is this fascination with anyone on linux with wanting to use flash player on linux. Use HTML 5. Or flip your hypervisor OFF and use that flash on your windo$e host OS. :roll: Is this a troll thread? That one second lag time on going back to your host OS that hard for you? :lol:
mouf155

Post by mouf155 »

meteorrock wrote:I see. Check above. My bad. Adobe flash or you can use java flash. I am out as I do not see a difference. Flash is flash. Take care. Developers do not like adobe because it is outdated on linux and they have a bad reputation with the open source community so good luck on getting help there. A flash player is a flash player.

What I do not understand is this fascination with anyone on linux with wanting to use flash player on linux. Use HTML 5. Or flip your hypervisor OFF and use that flash on your windo$e host OS. :roll: Is this a troll thread? That one second lag time on going back to your host OS that hard for you? :lol:
My host OS is linux mint 14. If windows can run smooth in the virtualbox, what is making linux os's much slower? I tried on another distro, lubuntu, and emulation is fine with no lag.

The flash issue is completely seperate from the VM issue, the flash is running on my host machine.
meteorrock

Post by meteorrock »

mouf155 wrote:
meteorrock wrote:I see. Check above. My bad. Adobe flash or you can use java flash. I am out as I do not see a difference. Flash is flash. Take care. Developers do not like adobe because it is outdated on linux and they have a bad reputation with the open source community so good luck on getting help there. A flash player is a flash player.

My host OS is linux mint 14. If windows can run smooth in the virtualbox, what is making linux os's much slower? I tried on another distro, lubuntu, and emulation is fine with no lag.

The flash issue is completely seperate from the VM issue, the flash is running on my host machine.

Do not answer them. Its a social enginnering trick, kind of like a Jedi mind trick This op could be a sith lord. Flash is outdated and exploitable right now to crackers. I am going to flag this post to the mods.

These kiddie script crackers want flash up on linux for exploitation. Flash is dead for a reason. From a security standpoint flash players of any kind on linux without security patches is a risk. I will no longer respond to any questions about flash from this point on any forums. I already gave them a workaround, they can take it or leave it. It would take me......lets say 5 minutes to compromise your computer with flash on it. Most do not know how to enable a firewall for security or what it even does.
mouf155

Post by mouf155 »

meteorrock wrote:
mouf155 wrote:

Do not answer them. Its a social enginnering trick, kind of like a Jedi mind trick This op could be a sith lord. Flash is outdated and exploitable right now to crackers. I am going to flag this post to the mods.

These kiddie script crackers want flash up on linux for exploitation. Flash is dead for a reason. From a security standpoint flash players of any kind on linux without security patches is a risk. I will no longer respond to any questions about flash from this point on any forums. I already gave them a workaround, they can take it or leave it. It would take me......lets say 5 minutes to compromise your computer with flash on it. Most do not know how to enable a firewall for security or what it even does.
Some websites only serve flash and won't play without (specifically) adobe flash player. If one of the alternatives was capable of this (there may be one), I would use it.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

I believe Steve Jobs vehemently rejected Flash when the iPhone and later iPad was introduced. I don't even know if Flash is now available, but somehow Youtube works with the iPad. So, your computer specs are border line and I wouldn't be surprised if Flash doesn't work well. If there is an alternative to Flash for Apple, then perhaps there is one for Linux.

Flash is inherently bad! For whatever reason, Flash consumes immense computer resources. Many websites use Flash for advertising, that is they through garbage at you at YOUR cost. It will deplete laptop batteries in no time, or raise your electricity bill, and what for?

Unfortunately I don't know of any replacements of Flash for websites like Youtube. As I said before, there must be a way.

If someone knows: what is the alternative to Flash on Linux? I would like to get rid of it.

Flash should be banned by law. It's an environmental catastrophe! Just think about how many power plants are needed to power those stupid Flash animations? I bet you we are talking Gigawatts of energy that's being wasted every day on that.
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

I've written some real bad critique about Flash in my previous post. Now it's time to justify that.

My PC is connected to the power outlet via a digital Watt meter, which measures the power consumption at any given time. When I open Firefox and browse the net, my PC consumes 115 Watt as long as no Flash animation is running on the website I visit. Once I enter a website with Flash animation, or Flash video, the power consumption jumps to 175 Watt and System Monitor shows increased CPU usage. That is 60 Watt for Flash, or about 50% increase in power consumption.

Never leave a website with Flash animation open on your PC - you are paying for it in electricity consumption. I don't know of any single application that is as resource hungry, let alone a web application.
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/

Return to “Software & Applications”