lmsensors on 2009 Macbook Pro

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

lmsensors on 2009 Macbook Pro

Postby chaos78 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:15 am

Hi folks,

I installed Linux Mint 14 64bit with KDE on a Macbook Pro 2009 (C2D, 3GHz, 8GB, 750GB). The system runs pretty good so far. Anyway, there is one little issue with cpu fan control. I installed lmsensors and it detects a temp sensor. Reading the temperaturs is working so far, GKrellm shows temperatures that look reasonable.

The point is that the fan speed is not much increasing when temperature raises above critical values like 80°C or 90°C. In /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/ there are two files "fan1_min" and "fan2_min". These files contain only a number, by default 2000 which seems to be the current initial fanspeed. It starts with 2000. When I change it to 3500 and safe the file, the fan speed is changed immediatelly. But after a restart or wake up from suspend state it is always set back to 2000 no matter what rights are applied to these files.

Is there a possibility to set up a LUT or something similar that regulates the fan speed according to the temps? Obviously I do not have any pwm capable fans so pwmconfig says there are no useable fans. At least I would like to set the inital fan speed to 3500rpm without resetting it after every restart.

I would really appreciate if anyone could provide some information or maybe there some websites that deal with Macs and Linux. :)

Thanks in advance for your help.
Cheers,
Hannes
chaos78
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications