Synaptics won't open

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Synaptics won't open

Postby Coolboy81 on Fri May 16, 2008 6:16 pm

Hi everyone, I'm a new member and I've only used Linux Mint for three weeks, before that I used Ubuntu but made the switch to Mint because it seemed a bit easier for me. I really enjoy Mint so far but the past few days I've ran into a problem with Synaptics. When I open it, I get this message:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

I've copy/pasted the command into terminal but when I get asked to enter my password, I don't see it come up on the screen as I type and when I hit enter it says that I must have superuseraccess to do the operation. (I have Mint set to Norwegian so I'm not sure what it's called in English) Then I've been told that in order to get superuser access, I need to enter sudo dpkg in front of the command, but then I read that it has to do with a root account and I didn't make a root account since the Linux Mint setup said it wasn't reccomended and I also don't wanna hassle with too many passwords, I feel that one pw is enough but the same guy who told me I need to have root account to do this, also said I could type in my regular password. But no luck so far, the Synaptics problem is still not solved.

I am a Linux newbie, started out with Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon this spring and then changed to Linux Mint and there's probably still many things I need to learn but I must say that both Ubuntu and Linux Mint seem like great distros to choose for beginners like me.

So any help with my little problem is truly appreciated! :)
Coolboy81
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Synaptics won't open

Postby Coolboy81 on Fri May 16, 2008 7:33 pm

Nevermind, the problem is solved! Synaptics works again so the moderator can close this thread. :)
Coolboy81
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Synaptics won't open

Postby Fred on Fri May 16, 2008 7:52 pm

Coolboy81,

Glad you worked it out on your own. :-)

You use sudo in front of that command. When you type your password it doesn't show on the screen.

Please edit your original post and put Solved in the subject line.

Thanks,

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Software & Applications