ubuntu software center alternative

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mbnoimi
Level 4
Level 4

ubuntu software center alternative

Post by mbnoimi »

Hi All,

Is there any alternative to ubuntu software center for mint?

The most important option in ubuntu software center is sync packages between different computers where mint software manager hasn't this option.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: ubuntu software center alternative

Post by bigj231 »

I'm not aware of an official one. I do believe you can install the Ubuntu Software Center in Mint though. I think it's in synaptic.
mbnoimi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mbnoimi »

bigj231 wrote:I'm not aware of an official one. I do believe you can install the Ubuntu Software Center in Mint though. I think it's in synaptic.
Actually I'm very interesting in software syncing between computers, it's really practical option.
Ubuntu Software Center doesn't work correctly on Mint because it needs some modifications to make it work as mentioned in this post for that I'm looking for an alternative to Ubuntu Software Center
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

I use Deepin Software Center. I've been using it on Mint 13 MATE since last year - no problems. I don't know about syncing though,it's not something I use nor need.
http://www.noobslab.com/2012/10/install ... er-in.html
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
mbnoimi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mbnoimi »

TheDynamicHamza21 wrote:I use Deepin Software Center. I've been using it on Mint 13 MATE since last year - no problems. I don't know about syncing though,it's not something I use nor need.
http://www.noobslab.com/2012/10/install ... er-in.html
Thanks for suggestion. I'm still missing syncing option. DSC can't sync packages between computers!!!
mbnoimi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mbnoimi »

After digging many days in google I concluded to the summary of my research:

Removing Ubuntu software center from Mint without putting an alternative to it is really most stupid step done in Mint.

I couldn’t find any other respect alternative to Ubuntu software center even I couldn’t find any solution supports computers syncing just like the practical way of Ubuntu software center! :x :x :x
viking777

Post by viking777 »

1) Here is an exerpt from the terms of use for Ubuntu Software Center:
The Ubuntu Software Centre service (the “Software Centre”) is a service integrated with the Ubuntu desktop providing a simple way for Ubuntu users to purchase and download applications and content (“apps”). The Software Centre is run by Canonical Group Ltd (“Canonical” or “us” or “our” or “we”), and we hope that you will use and enjoy it.
In other words (but I admit I am no lawyer) It may well be that in using this software on another desktop you are in breach of these terms and conditions and may be subject to legal action. It is highly unlikely that any action would be taken against an individual, but a competitor distro is another matter.

2) USC contains many paid apps. Purchasing these would no doubt result in a small commission being paid to Canonical. Is it likely that Mint would want to sponsor a competitor in this manner?

3) As you know Mint does have its own version of the software center. Maybe you don't like it as much as USC but it still exists, so it does have an alternative.

4) The ability to copy your installed program list exists in Mintbackup and has existed long before USC was ever invented. It is certainly not as sophisticated as online synchronisation, but then again it doesn't collect your personal information either
Collection and use of your data. We may collect certain non-personally-identifiable information, which is located on your computer. The information collected may include statistics relating to the types of apps you download, how often you download apps, and which apps you download. You agree this information may be retained and used by Canonical
Instructions on how to use Mintbackup for moving installed apps from one computer to another are here:
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2 (section D1.3 and D3.2)

5) Although USC has been around for some time you are the first person I have ever heard of that has complained about its Mint alternative. Even those who have answered this thread have sought their own alternatives if they don't want to use the Mint provided one.

6) Typing in capitals/bold type is considered shouting. Forum rule Section 2 Rule 6, so please don't do it.

7) Typing in capitals/bold type whilst insulting the distros developers is likely to earn you a ban from the forum, so please don't do that either.

Your post has been edited to remove the shouting.
mbnoimi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mbnoimi »

viking777 wrote:1) Here is an exerpt from the terms of use for Ubuntu Software Center:
The Ubuntu Software Centre service (the “Software Centre”) is a service integrated with the Ubuntu desktop providing a simple way for Ubuntu users to purchase and download applications and content (“apps”). The Software Centre is run by Canonical Group Ltd (“Canonical” or “us” or “our” or “we”), and we hope that you will use and enjoy it.
In other words (but I admit I am no lawyer) It may well be that in using this software on another desktop you are in breach of these terms and conditions and may be subject to legal action. It is highly unlikely that any action would be taken against an individual, but a competitor distro is another matter.
Are you serious!? Mint is competitor distro to ubuntu?! Mint can't live without ubuntu and Canonical contributions! tons of Mint options brought from ubuntu community/Canonical modifications so please don't make me laugh :wink: Mint is no more than kind of ubuntu flavor.
4) The ability to copy your installed program list exists in Mintbackup and has existed long before USC was ever invented. It is certainly not as sophisticated as online synchronisation, but then again it doesn't collect your personal information either
online synchronization is relative matter because we live in clouding revolution so we have to be realistic we use many online services you can consider them tools for "collecting personal information" so your claim is absolutely out of this century.
Instructions on how to use Mintbackup for moving installed apps from one computer to another are here:
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2 (section D1.3 and D3.2)
Thanks for pointing to this tutorial but as you've mentioned Mintbackup will never be a practical solution in case you want to make your work PC, home pc & laptop always synced together and have same installed packages.
6) Typing in capitals/bold type is considered shouting. Forum rule Section 2 Rule 6, so please don't do it.
7) Typing in capitals/bold type whilst insulting the distros developers is likely to earn you a ban from the forum, so please don't do that either.
Wow bold format is shouting!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I never read or heard that before :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: shouting huhuhuh

Return to “Software & Applications”