Install Eclipse from the website?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mastermind16X

Install Eclipse from the website?

Post by mastermind16X »

I downloaded the Eclipse file from their website. I can run it from the Eclipse folder I extracted to, but it doesn't show up under "Programming" in the menu. It doesn't show up at all in the menu. Does anyone know how to fix this and get it in the menu and out of a folder on my desktop?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Install Eclipse from the website?

Post by xenopeek »

Do you want to install it specifically from their website? Eclipse is in the software repositories of Linux Mint, so you can just use Software Manager to install it automatically.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

The Eclipse from the repository (Indigo) seems not to work correctly. I had to download from the website (Juno) and start from the folder too, works faultlessly once started.
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

excollier wrote:I had to download from the website (Juno)
Seems to be there is an issue with providing that release with Ubuntu: http://askubuntu.com/questions/206206/p ... e-juno-4-2. I didn't know there was this big a gap between versions.

@mastermind16X, in Cinnamon, MATE and KDE (not Xfce) you can right-click your menu button and edit your application menu. You can create a new entry, and browse to the program from your home folder that you want to include in your menu.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

Tried it, no go, but it launches just fine from the folder, so I will leave well alone now.
mastermind16X

Post by mastermind16X »

It launches from the folder, and I went ahead and set up a menu for it. It does what I wanted it to do now.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

What, exactly, did you do to get it to launch from the menu? I tried adding it but it failed, not that it's a real problem, but it would be a nicer solution.

edit: got it working now, great stuff, thanks for the pointers.
gavinkalika

Post by gavinkalika »

Hello,

I have downloaded the eclipse folder from the eclipse website. I have extracted the compressed folder to my desktop. How do I start the eclipse application from the folder?

FYI I am very new to this OS

Return to “Software & Applications”