kernel oops, bluetooth mouse, HOWTO report?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

kernel oops, bluetooth mouse, HOWTO report?

Postby Elt10W on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:56 pm

This has been going on for a few months, and regrettably, I have not had the time to report this before. In Mint, my bluetooth mouse would temporarily freeze, I get kicked out of the desktop, and then shown an entire screenful of error messages indicating that the system has crashed.

My only recourse is to press the 'power'button, wait a while, then restart the machine... which I admit is not the desirable course of action

Hardware specs:
The mouse is a Geyes Gmw320e bluetooth.

Machine: Asus EEE 1000 PC, running Linux Mint 14.
-Computer-
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz
Memory : 1016MB (501MB used)
Operating System : Linux Mint 14 Nadia
User Name XXXXXXX)
Date/Time : Mon 25 Feb 2013 10:55:58 PM EST
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x600 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
-Input Devices-
Lid Switch
Sleep Button
Power Button
Power Button
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
Logitech USB Receiver
Video Bus
CNF7129
Asus EeePC extra buttons
HDA Intel Mic
HDA Intel Headphone
ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad
-Printers (CUPS)-
Photosmart-C4340-series : <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
ATA ASUS-PHISON SSD
ATA ASUS-PHISON SSD
Single Flash Reader

Problem: I would like to report this constant, regular, consistent, and repeatable error, BUT I request 'dummy' instructions on HOWTO capture the screen output to report to the Linux Mint Development Team. :?:

This is my only complaint with the current version of Linux Mint, which I hope to install on a different machine, but because of this ongoing problem, I am rather wary.
Linux User #193975-85134
Elt10W
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: kernel oops, bluetooth mouse, HOWTO report?

Postby xenopeek on Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:02 am

The Linux Mint development team does not develop the Linux kernel, which is where the drivers for your hardware devices are located. Nor does it develop the bluetooth software. Support for Linux by hardware manufacturers can be problematic, so some drivers are less good than others as they may have needed to be written without any documentation or cooperation from the manufacturer. Be careful who you support by purchasing their products...

Internet search for your model mouse only turns up Chinese websites, so I can't help much with this problem either.

You could report this, with all the needed information, to the kernel developers but they generally want you to run the latest version of the kernel to confirm it is still happening there. You may try upgrading your system to a newer kernel and perhaps this will resolve the issue. To do so, open a terminal and run:
Code: Select all
apt update && apt dist-upgrade

Perhaps before reporting this, you could investigate it some more with help of others here. Take a readable picture of the error text you are shown. Look into your /var/log/syslog or /var/log/syslog.1 log after rebooting on a crash, and look at the timestamps to find the moment of your crash (I recommend you wait to reboot after a crash for 5 minutes or so, that way you can find a clear gap in the timestamps to identify which part was from before your rebooted). Look back about a hundred lines or so and look for any errors or warnings shown in the log.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Software & Applications