installing a driver from a website

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

installing a driver from a website

Postby jsplicer on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:47 am

Hello,
I'm sort of new to linux mint 64 bit, but I love it and plan to use this as my main operating system. I have some knowledge with the unix terminal from Mac OSX. So I know some about inputting commands. Just to give you a little back ground info on me so you can help me with my mission.

I have a Canon Pixma MP 495 printer. The gutenprint drivers that come with linux do a good job and print nicely and have a lot of features that the Canon driver don't have, except for one important feature...there is no way to check the ink level of what I have left in the cartridges. This is a feature that I need. I have to know if I'm running low on ink or not, and the Canon driver provides that. I haven't installed any driver for the printer yet because of this I'm hoping to get the canon driver to work.

Now to my question, I have downloaded both the scanner driver and the print driver for linux from the Canon website, but I don't know the commands to install them from a terminal or other means to install them. The files are in my download folder one named 'cnijfilter-mp495series-3.40-1-deb.tar.gz' the scanner driver is in the same format. Can someone tell me or lead me to a way to install these drivers into my mint OS to get my printer working?

Thank You very much for reading and for any help in this.

Sincerely,

John
Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Rev. 1.6 FE BIOS
CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q8400 2.66 GHz.
Memory: GSkill: 4 GB DDR2 800 MHz.
GPU: PCI-E 3 NVidia GEFORCE GTX 650 DDR 5, 1GB Ram
Drives: Int: 120 GiB SSD Samsumg REVO, 500 GiB WD HDD, Ext: USB 2 500 GiB HDD
jsplicer
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: installing a driver from a website

Postby catweazel on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:41 am

jsplicer wrote:Now to my question, I have downloaded both the scanner driver and the print driver for linux from the Canon website, but I don't know the commands to install them from a terminal or other means to install them.

http://blog.obnoxium.org/2011/04/canon-pixma-mp495-works-with-linux/
I used google to find that. You should try it sometime.
Mint Testing Team & Mint Donor #3606
KDE 4.12.0, custom preemptive kernel 3.12.5,
Intel i7 4770K @ 4.7GHz, 16GB 2666MHz XMP,
4 Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSDs in RAID0,
6TB HW RAID10, dual 24" Acer X243H,
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 680 Super Overclock
catweazel
Level 7
Level 7

Postby dobbelyou on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:02 am

jsplicer wrote:Hello,
I'm sort of new to linux mint 64 bit, but I love it and plan to use this as my main operating system. I have some knowledge with the unix terminal from Mac OSX. So I know some about inputting commands. Just to give you a little back ground info on me so you can help me with my mission.

I have a Canon Pixma MP 495 printer. The gutenprint drivers that come with linux do a good job and print nicely and have a lot of features that the Canon driver don't have, except for one important feature...there is no way to check the ink level of what I have left in the cartridges. This is a feature that I need. I have to know if I'm running low on ink or not, and the Canon driver provides that. I haven't installed any driver for the printer yet because of this I'm hoping to get the canon driver to work.

Now to my question, I have downloaded both the scanner driver and the print driver for linux from the Canon website, but I don't know the commands to install them from a terminal or other means to install them. The files are in my download folder one named 'cnijfilter-mp495series-3.40-1-deb.tar.gz' the scanner driver is in the same format. Can someone tell me or lead me to a way to install these drivers into my mint OS to get my printer working?

Thank You very much for reading and for any help in this.

Sincerely,

John

untar the file
open a terminal and login as root
browse to your downloadfolder and notice there is a file named cnijfilter-mp495series-3.40-1-deb
cd to that folder
cd to folder packages
remove both i386 files
dpkg -i *.* [enter]

not sure now, but i think u have to browse to http://127.0.0.1:631 ,and modify excsiting ptinter using cups webinterface
free dropbox cloudstorage:
dropbox
dobbelyou
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jsplicer on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:29 am

TehGhodTrole ~ I did Google it first. That is how I found the drivers. Being new to linux I needed help installing them. The blog you showed me which I already found on google did not explain how to install them. No problem I guess you get a lot of people come to this linux help forum looking for help.

Anyway I already knew how to extract them or tar them in the terminal. So before checking back here to let people who may need to know, in Mint is an app called 'GDebi Package installer' that did the trick. You just need to extract the files first if you want to use the GDebi package installer, but it's always better to know the terminal commands.

dobbelyou ~ Thank you very much for your help. It's always good to learn new info for the terminal, thats exactly the info I was looking for before I found the package installer for deb packages. I apreciate you teaching me the commands.

I guess this problem can be considered closed the printer works.

Thanks again everyone.

Sincerely,

John
Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Rev. 1.6 FE BIOS
CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q8400 2.66 GHz.
Memory: GSkill: 4 GB DDR2 800 MHz.
GPU: PCI-E 3 NVidia GEFORCE GTX 650 DDR 5, 1GB Ram
Drives: Int: 120 GiB SSD Samsumg REVO, 500 GiB WD HDD, Ext: USB 2 500 GiB HDD
jsplicer
Level 2
Level 2

Postby studiom on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:04 pm

hello,

SAMSUNG SCX-4521F (combination printer, fax, scanner). For Linux Mint 14 can not sign up to a scanner. While the printer is working correctly.

Does anyone know what the problem is?
studiom
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications