[SOLVED] Caja making CPUs run hot and busy, even when idle

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

[SOLVED] Caja making CPUs run hot and busy, even when idle

Postby jaderiver on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:40 pm

My CPUs recently started running hotter and very active, even when idle.
With the help of other Minters (see viewtopic.php?f=49&t=128226), ...

I used htop to discover the energy hog was Caja File Manager. Specifically, if I stop or kill Caja's "poll-timeout-schedule," listed in System Monitor Process, everything cools down again. Normally, my CPUs stay at low 40C degrees or less, and CPU History activity at 1-4% (flat lining), when idle. When Caja's poll-timeout-schedule is "on," temperatures rise 10-20C degrees, and CPU activity stays at 25-50+%, even when idle!

Idle -- meaning, no applications going, not connected to Internet, .... virtually no human activity. ASUS notebooks are known to stay very cool.

When using the live MATE DVD, the CPUs stay cool and indicate 1-3% activity, when idle. Also, I reinstalled Mint's "/" partition from the Mint DVD to reinstall Caja before any recent updates. Yet, after reinstalling older version, Caja is still making everything hot. (Is there an outside chance my Home folder has something which is compelling Caja to constantly run?)

I have been killing Caja's "poll-timeout-schedule" and using Nautilus from the terminal, but do not have control over my desktop at that time. I will consider Nautilus or other file manager unless Caja starts operating reasonably again.

What is Caja's "poll-timeout-schedule"? Any insight would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Last edited by jaderiver on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 17 MATE Qiana dualboot WIN 7
Zoom #3095 dialup USB modem
jaderiver
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Caja making CPUs run hot and busy, even when idle

Postby jaderiver on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:31 pm

The culprit turned out to be an innocuous .pdf file on my desktop. This file was created when I wanted a financial institution to download a statement. This institution has a third party handle client financial statements, so I was redirected automatically to obtain a statement. The process didn't work and the statement was obtained another way. However, the weblink icon on the desktop was causing heavy CPU activity and Caja to act up, just sitting there! Trashing the icon, and only after the emptying trash, finally calmed the CPU and Caja down. :)

I notice youtube.com tabs, which are unloaded, also cause heavy Caja activity and CPU heat. By unloaded I mean if I have reopened my browser and choose not to reload a youtube tab yet. So the tab is simply sitting there.

In these times of viruses, spyware or identity theft, the fact these files, while static, keep trying to access the computer in some way is creepy. :shock:

Any insight from web coding people would be much appreciated. What is going on, particularly with the banking icon?

Thank you.
jaderiver
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 17 MATE Qiana dualboot WIN 7
Zoom #3095 dialup USB modem
jaderiver
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Software & Applications